Ward LaFrance series 2 wrecker

42 chevy

I have not even finished my Diamond T 969A, when an opportunity presented itself that I could not pass up. It seems a 1942 Ward Series 2 has now joined the fleet. I thought my Diamond T was BIG, well it is a little brother compared to the Ward. Cab wood is solid and she is operational and runs good, her restoration wil be put off to the side until I finish the Diamond T. I will eventually need to replace the rear axle with the NOS unit that was part of the package. Now I just have to finish paying for it!!!!!

Photos attached.

Ward-front.jpg

Ward-left side.jpg

Ward-interior view.jpg

Ward-right front.jpg

Ward-right side.jpg

She is ex Danish, was rebuilt in 1951 at the Red River Aresenal and then sent to the Danish Military. You can see that NATO lights were added along with a recepticale on the drivers side. Hood numbers have been painted over.

John Gott

Here is an earlier undated photy of my truck. I know the truck was in 2 musuems, however, I do not know when it was brought back to the U.S.

Additionally, there is a rear shot, the mud flaps have since been removed, a shot of the rear winch bracket and a view of the seat riser, which needs some attention.

Anybody have a horn buttom?

John Gott

Ward-early photo.jpg

Ward-seat-riser.jpg

winchbracket.jpg

Ward-rear view.jpg

Looks like a good project John.

Intersting to see some of the differences between series Two and Five wreckers.

Are the instrument clocks orginal? I am surprised they have white faces to the dials.

Also surprised at the amount of wood in the cab area.

I thought the cab on mine looked narrow but the front view of yours makes it look ridiculously narrow for the size of truck. Having proper doors can't help with inerior room either. Looks to be a lack of clearance between steering wheel and door.

I wonder if Land Rover designers took this as a reference and not just the Jeep.

Mine is missing the wheel centre too. It's not the horn push on a Series 5 or M1A1 though just a filler so I was going to make something to fit. The horn is activated off one of the many floor mounted push buttons I believe.

Are the instrument clocks orginal? I am surprised they have white faces to the dials.

Yes, Norman, but they are cream.

Here's one I picked up on the last visit to Beke's. We found plenty there a few months before - this was the very last one and I thought it would be a great memento of an exciting adventure. Art Deco says it all :-)

I believe it was the Series 4 which saw a change to standard military instruments, but I'm very tempted to install this one anyway. The Series 4 dash is a right old hotch potch, with small instruments in ugly adaptor plates bolted into large holes.

DSC00565.JPG

Norman;

The cab is all wood, same cab used on 1930's Brockway trucks. Too bad BEKE is gone, or at least I was led to believe that. I probably could have spent a few dollars there. Eventually, some year, I will have the gauges redone. It looks like the tachometer was added, (it is to the left of the steering wheel)maybe someone can shed some light on it, maybe a military spec, as later trucks had a tachometer from Stewart Werner.

Norman, I belived the series 5 used the horn button in the steering wheel, as the high beam and siren buttons are on the floorboard.

Yes, the cab does look "smal"l when mouted on such a big truck, however, having operated a series 5, I feel that the closed cab has more room, and is easier to get in and get out of.

John Gott

A couple of years ago, I acquired a restored siren light. My plan was to put it on the Diamond T, however, It wlil find a new home on the left front fender on the Ward. Also, I am getting a set of work lights, as the orginals were "taken" a long time ago.

John Gott

Norman;

A friend of mine who lives in Minnesota, and has a "few" trucks is giving me a extra pair he has. The reflectors need to be rechromed and the lights need to be rewired, so I lucked out on those parts.

John Gott

• 3 weeks later...

Tootallmike, I have sent you an e mail, but others, please feel free to chime in on any pointers on the rear axle removal procedure. I have read and reread the TM on this procedure. I have an NOS complete rear axle for the truck.

I have checked previos posts, but thee pictures that were attached to those post(s) are no longer viewable.

thanks in advance

John Gott

Hi John,

Thanks for your email. Hoepfully the following will be of some help to you:

The axle change will be no big deal on hard standing. The biggest challenge is raising the back of the truck high enough to wheel the axle out on the wheels rather than having to remove the wheels as we did. I wanted to inspect and rebuild the entire rear bogie so we removed the complete unit as one and disassembled it once out. I would recommend this method if you have the inclination as it was much easier to undo the torque rods from the diffs once we could see them and there was space around. However since it's the third axle you are changing you may get away with not touching the main bogie pivots. Do you have replacement torque rods in stock? You may be unpleasantly surprised by their condition and I was forced to split some of mine to remove them. I was replacing all 6 so this wasn't a problem but you should be aware that they can look fine on the truck but may be very worn once released from tension!

Here are some photos of my job in no particular order:

PC240023..jpg

PC170003..jpg

P9190022..jpg

PC170005..jpg

PC170002..jpg

PB040028..jpg

PA140033..jpg

PC230013..jpg

PC240017..jpg

Edited by TooTallMike
Clarity

Mike;

Thanks for reposting the pictures and adding a few more.

I do not have replacement torque rods, but if you have a source I would very interested.

I am in the middle of repalcing the torque rods on my Diamond T. I was lucky to find NOS upper rods. That was not a fun job getting the pins out, but once we put the torch on them, life got a lot easier. The bottom rods came out quite easily. I do not why, but the bottom rods were in better shape than the top ones. The bottom rods are no where to be found here in the US, however, my local spring shop should be able to weld new ends on tehm, I will be taking the rods to them this week. I will be posting pictures in my resto blog for my 969A.

again, thanks Mike

John Gott

• 1 month later...

Great work, gentlemen!

My dad drove two wreckers during the Korean war. They were testing vehicles in Alaska, 1952-3. The first, I believe, was a Diamond 969a. Two months into his service, he got a gift from Ward La France. A brand new wrecker, with dual wheel base in back and a 360 degree boom. It worked great, perhaps too good. Each time he traveled from base to base, a corporal insisited on taking a ride with him! I'd love to see photos of the Ward la France wrecker, the newer one, from 1952. It was probably the M62, but I am not sure. Regardless, keep up the good work! PS Ward La France has a museum in NJ, USA.

• 8 months later...

The new acquisition arrived home today. It was 28 degress outside which caused some problems with the off load. First the water pump was frozen (no anti freeze) so the coupler chain was removed, A boost was needed for the battery and then fuel delivery problems from some old nasty petrol. So we gravity fed it it into thecarb and th e truck came to life.The block and radiaitor were drained, so hopefully nothing will freeze in the block. As the weather warms, the waterpump will be removed and new packing installed, (it leaks just a bit), carb R&R and sort out the rest of the fuel problems, (remove and clean out the tanks, filter and rebuild the fuel pump.) This should leave the truck in an operational status.

John G

new years eve 2010 017.jpg

new years eve 2010 016.jpg

• 2 weeks later...