ferret data plate translation

haybaggerman

Hi

Been after the hull number from my ferret for toolman and I have the following info. from the data plate. Could anyone translate?

1425 Hull No.?

Cont no. 6/fv/18378 presumably the contract no. when ordered

REBUJLD 23 BW 1/64 assume someone stamped a J instead of an I, does this refer to when it was converted to mark 1/2?

Thanks

Paul

Hi

Been after the hull number from my ferret for toolman and I have the following info. from the data plate. Could anyone translate?

1425 Hull No.?

Cont no. 6/fv/18378 presumably the contract no. when ordered

REBUJLD 23 BW 1/64 assume someone stamped a J instead of an I, does this refer to when it was converted to mark 1/2?

Thanks

Paul

Unbolt the Data plate, & underneath you will see a plate welded to the hull side. This IS the hull number. 23 BW is Base Workshops where this vehicle had a TOTAL overhaul & rebuild. :-)

Hello Paul

Thanks for getting the data. You are correct in saying your hull number is 1425, built in May 1958.

My ferret is 1436 5 58 which shows that our ferrets are almost brothers. Unfortunately it throws a bit of a spanner in the works with my quest to identfy my ferret. It seems that the Mk 1 and Mk 2 ferrets in the contract 6/FV/18378 must have been manufactured together, contracts marks mixed.

00CA32-00CA61 were Mk1 (Later Mk1/2) - 00CA40 - 1425

00CA69-00CA87 were Mk2 (later Mk2/4)

00CA78 has been identified as 1430

00CA92 is identified as 1438

Could mine have originally been a Mk 1, which was subsequently converted to a Mk 2, then a Mk 2/4?

Cheers

Matt

The ferret shoukd have a Hull number stamped on a tag welded behind the data plate , some models had this plate welded on hull next to forward & rev lever

the last 3 digets of the hull number are in my case 10 66 = October 1966 the contract number on the plate relates to last contract of less than 10 vehicles

just happen to live in hastings lol

i wonder if anyone else has a vehicle made in the last 10 but of course hulls may have been swapped about

lee used to have the the oldest Mrk ferret that had a Brass service plate but not sure of its numbers