Sexton - Feasibility Study

ajmac

Chaps,

A friend just told me about a Sexton hulk for sale (I think it's one of those last few from the US, that came from Portugal), along the lines of the M10's condition before Adrian went to work on it, no cuts, but less running gear. No engine, no track, no drive sprockets, one or two bogies and no 25 Pdr. As my Dad always says, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it - has anything similar changed hands over the past 18 months, if so what sort of figures are we talking? A PM is quite acceptable.

Alastair,

the issue is really what it will cost to find the missing parts....

R975 radial £3000+

Bogies £1000 ea

Track (CDP) £4000

Track (US) £5000

Sprockets £1000

25 pdr £2000

These of course are guidelines and are assuming you can find the parts available for sale!

Expect to pay £20-30k for the vehicle as is.

Expect to pay £20-30k for the vehicle as is.

That's the killer you see, taking time and throwing 5k a year at something isn't a problem, but the initial outlay.... wohhh. Thanks for the guidence, much appreciated. I've had the same issue with Carriers, most of those for sale are already restored and as such command a high price, 25-40k. If you go looking for a long term project the supply dries up :-(

If anyone has any leads on a UC in need of restoration let me know.

hi fella's

been looking at that sexton myself,there's another on milweb that's a runner but needs finishing for £80k.so you have to ask yourself is it worth £30k for a tidy rolling shell ?maybe.These things will only get more expensive as time goes on.i'm not in a position to buy it but if i were i'd be tempted to make my offer.

Adrian thanks for a run down of the going prices,actually cheaper than i thought.

eddy

I remember when I was first getting interested in WW2 AFVs that the first time I saw a Sexton was when two rolled passed in Normandy 94. I remember thinking that they were rather odd looking Priests.... I'll never forget one of the Sextons had loads of veterans crowded inside and a chap with a massive handle bar mustache and his old unit field cap on looking out over the 25pdr. I must scan in some of the photos one day, just hope Mom & Dad haven't thrown them out!

With those prices for a Sexton project, I wouldn't like to imagine how much Wheatcroft had to pay for the Tiger 1 Jigsaw he just aquired from Russia. I'd like to see you tackle that one Adrian, what do you think.... 12 weeks turn around? :laugh:

Edited by ajmac
Added content

A Sexton makes a lot of sense. A lot cheaper than a gun tank and a much more user friendly vehicle.

Indeed. And in the hands of a capable driver, believe it or not, faster than a Hellcat! I know because I was on board of a Priest that was faster up a hill at Mons than the Hellcat next to it.

But because of the beam across the hull carrying the gun, it will not accomodate large drivers.

These things will only get more expensive as time goes on.i'm not in a position to buy it but if i were i'd be tempted to make my offer.

Up to a certain point, yes. I reckon the market is currently somewhere near a peak.

Compare to the housing market, collectable cars, antiques, flower bulbs, etc., it goes up to the point the market will bear, and then drops.

hello,

The tanks is definatley on area of historic MV's that has seen the price jump. I was talking to the chap that bought the sexton from the grange cavern when it closed, i guess it must have 20 years ago now, he said nobody wanted it at the auction and he paid £1200 for it. :shocked:

Enigma

Weren't they also used as Kangaroos after removing the gun?

Actually not used used as Kangaroo, but as Sexton GPO, Canadian units often used Rams as Gun position Officers vehicles but British and other Allied and Commonwealth users used a gunless Sexton, a surviving example of one is in the Pakistani Army Museum in Rawalpindi no doubt captured from the Indian Army in 1965.

The photo the Sexton GPO at Pak. Army museum is at

http://www.pakdef.info/pakmilitary/army/monuments/armymuseumgallery.html

along with many other interesting vehicles ,I was due to go there last year to supervise a building project but it was decided that the current political situation was too unstable, so after three attempts by email the "grand stairway" got built across the panoramic window.:cry:

SEXTON GPO.jpg

SEXTON GPO.jpg

Edited by steveo578
addition

looks very complete , minus gun , but that won't be the problem (i guess)

is it possible to get her over here - museum property?

No, the gun is not missing - it was removed on purpose. The Sexton GPO (gun position officer) was a Sexton variant which had the gun removed and replaced by map tables and extra communications and Tannoy equipment.

There was one at Pounds Yard in Portsmouth where I spotted it in 1985. Although I knew what it was I hardly took any pictures of it. . .

H.

REME 245

I was under the impression Rex Cadman acquired anything left of interest in Pounds including presumably this Sexton.

The Sexton under discussion is from Portugal by SECO of Augusta Georgia USA and was brought in with a couple of M4HST and another Sexton.

If by Churchill ARV you mean the Mk2 than yes, the Mk1 was scrapped.

Steve

No doubt that one was cut up.:-(

Steve,

Not really sure about that. When I was there in the summer of 1985, much of steel scrap in the yard was cleared out, both because of increased scrap prices and the fact that the yard had to be cleared. I had heard about the Churchill ARV I but that was scrapped before this date.

At that time the interest in AFV´s was high enough for Pounds not the scrap the AFV's still in the yard and coming into the light from under or behind huge piles of scrap where previously they were irretrievable. Actually, at the day I was there a Centaur Dozer had been parked on the side of the street to be picked up.

Later I heard the Sexton GPO was saved. Can anyone corroborate this rumour? It would be interesting to see it even if it was stripped for parts for a "real tank".

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

I was under the impression Rex Cadman acquired anything left of interest in Pounds including presumably this Sexton.

I assume he also has the Churchill ARV which was very nice but had suffered after decades by the sea.

According to the Churchill Register, the Cadman Brothers still have the Churchill ARV II: http://freespace.virgin.net/chris.shillito/a22new/register/thelot.htm