FV Brake Master Cylinders

21BK40

Doug I used to use DOT-3 but its moved onto DOT-4.

I have no Servicing Schedules prior to 1973. I included the 'Lockheed Orange' for historical interest & was wondering if anyone knew why this was included in a user handbook & didn't specify a military fluid.

Ah, ok, thank's Clive, is the earlier spec "orange" fluid a mineral fluid (although I know they were generally green in colour) and is the OX-8 compatible with Dot 3 - what do you use in your Pig ?

21BK40, and Clive,

Lockheed Orange was not a mineral fluid, it was a normal brake fluid, but in early days was castor based (in other words, a "vegetable" oil). If anyone has dealt with a very old brake system and found the gummy residue, that is why. Progress has made normal brake fluid much better. As to your question about OX-8, I always use DOT4

I included the 'Lockheed Orange' for historical interest & was wondering if anyone knew why this was included in a user handbook & didn't specify a military fluid.

Out of interest that was what was specified in the Commer handbook.

Ah, all very interesting, thank's guys - just for the record I have always used Dot 4 on my Pig.

I put my refurbished Master cylinder back on today & spent an hour bleeding the Servo & wheel cylinders - wasn't overly impressed by the results, although I'm not losing fluid any more the brake efficiency didn't seem up to par. I will go round the adjusters and re-bleed next w/e to see if I can improve things.

Hi all,

Just an update on my Pig brakes - still no fluid lost after a week so I must have cured the leaks with the master cylinder refurb kit.

I put my NOS clyinder on test by filling it with DOT 4 and leaving the plastic thread protectors in place to test the reaction of the rubber to the fluid. No problems so far, I'll leave for another week to see if there is any apparent change :-D

Well done Doug a good job done then, particularly as it's not ideal workshop weather.

Is it nice & firm to the foot now? Remember of course when you have some vacuum it's easier for the pedal to get pushed down a bit further.

Just had my Master Cylinder come through the post earlier in the week, exactly the same as the new one in post #22 with the exception that i also had an alloy filler extension fibre washers and the rubber bellows complete with metal clips for the brake rod.

No way its getting fitted to the pig at the moment though, blizzards and drifting snow ending play.

Hey both, drifting snow eh ! - kind of reinforces my recent decision to buy a nice SUMB, I figured it was a wothwhile purchase compared with potenrial loss of earnings (I'm a contractor so no work - no pay !!)

Going to Bristol next w/e to have a look at it. It will take the pressure off having to rush to get the Pig done if I have something else to take to shows in the meantime.

Back to brakes... yes nice & firm now but the stopping power doesn't seem up to par, I'm going to jack up each corner to see if everything is as it should be when the brakes are applied, I might have a siezed wheel cylinder or two or maybe just needs adjustment - too cold down here as well today so it will have to wait.

I bought some "vintage" wiper blade from a site on e-bay (poss the same one you bought your cylinder from as I saw one on there as well), they duly arrived this week. They were for a much larger windscreen and the metal backing strips are slightly larger dimensions but I managed to cut them down to Pig size and re-attach the old clips - great job.

Back to brakes... yes nice & firm now but the stopping power doesn't seem up to par

Doug maybe one of these would help to find out if they are as bad as you think. There are 3 on ebay at the moment, but watch out for postage as they are pretty heavy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FERODO-TAPLEY-BRAKE-TESTING-METER-MOT_W0QQitemZ320480576063QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item4a9e21823f