M62 A2 Medium Wrecker

Has anyone owned one of these wreckers? Does anyone know the guy selling this one, is it the same Rod Litchfield of Marltrax fame?

http://www.milweb.net/webverts/49054/

I love the look of this truck. Also are those M900 series trucks in the background?

The guy says it was imported in 2003 and the last time it was advertised it wasn't registered but I see he has now got it registered as a "Historic Vehicle". Would this have the LDS 465 engine fitted? I would love to here from anyone who has info on this truck. Cheers

Edited by LoggyDriver

yes this truck is being sold by rod from marltrax .ive seen it before and its in very nice condition .those are 9 series vehicles. he delivered us a lovely new cab hood and doors for our 8 series tipper project and it came on one of these vehicles .they truly are massive when you get up close to them. not sure where he got them but are a pretty rare beast.

DSC00547.jpg

yeah that been advertised for abit now,An original M62 should have a 10 litre petrol engine altho its certainly got the M62 style crane etc as the M54(next model) was multifuel and had a totally different looking crane etc. Its prob a selection of various bits .And its definately Rod of marltrax fame.I had M series for last 9 years and had dealings with marltrax many years ago and as with lots of people had some poor experiences.Truck does look tidy tho. martin

weve bought several vehicles from them in the past including diamond t wrecker, bedford mk and m35 reo and have always enjoyed a good repatoir, i have heard negatives about them and read it also on this forum but i speak as i find and have never had any complaints. one thing i would say is that they always had the best stuff for sale.

yeah i totally agree jimmy, you can only judge on personal experinces. i must admit they had or have access to some great kit which within the uk there is definately a lacking of a good "M" series parts supplier. I deal with a guy in belgium called Rudi Goossens and he is honest, realistic prices and does what he says and its amazing the postage from belgium to the uk is cheap even with the euro and makes are postage costs within the uk look a rip off. martin

I bought my M109 from Rod/Marltrax and many spares afterwards and I have to say had no trouble what so ever, quite the opposite. I have heard that some people have had bad experiences but couldnt we say that about any MV dealers/suppliers, Jeeparts/Withams are 2 that instantly spring to mind.

Sorry off topic but my tuppence worth

yeah i totally agree jimmy, you can only judge on personal experinces. i must admit they had or have access to some great kit which within the uk there is definately a lacking of a good "M" series parts supplier. I deal with a guy in belgium called Rudi Goossens and he is honest, realistic prices and does what he says and its amazing the postage from belgium to the uk is cheap even with the euro and makes are postage costs within the uk look a rip off. martin

I've spoke to Rod on several occasions in the past at War and Peace. I thought Marltrax went bust, or something funny was going on as they just seemed to just disappear.

I know that the original wrecker had a petrol engine, as I have a set of CD Roms that I bought from the States. I presume these went into a refit and were fitted with the LDS 465 multifuel (for 5 ton trucks, and the LDT for the 2.5 ton trucks). Did the M54 wrecker have the enclosed cab for the crane?

Looking at this truck would you say it's original (apart from the engine obviously)? The crane looks like it can do a 360 deg turn.

yes this truck is being sold by rod from marltrax .ive seen it before and its in very nice condition .those are 9 series vehicles. he delivered us a lovely new cab hood and doors for our 8 series tipper project and it came on one of these vehicles .they truly are massive when you get up close to them. not sure where he got them but are a pretty rare beast.

Hello mate,

You say you have seen this wrecker before and that it's in good condition, any more info. It's been in the UK since 2003 according to Rod, and yet he has only just registered it. Do you know if he used the truck for it's lifting ability or has it just sat for all these years?

as part of our business we hang ship tyre fenders for the port authority in great yarmouth, we do this with a bedford mj hiab. we looked at the reo a while back with the idea of possibly using it for our work. it was never going to be suitable for this but sometimes when something cool like this truck is local its rude not to have a little look at it:-D. i dont no the history of the vehicle, i expect he had it for his own use around his place. i would very much doubt that he worked it. we see him from time to time and i think he may have a 9 series wrecker which is maybe why he is selling this.

as part of our business we hang ship tyre fenders for the port authority in great yarmouth, we do this with a bedford mj hiab. we looked at the reo a while back with the idea of possibly using it for our work. it was never going to be suitable for this but sometimes when something cool like this truck is local its rude not to have a little look at it:-D. i dont no the history of the vehicle, i expect he had it for his own use around his place. i would very much doubt that he worked it. we see him from time to time and i think he may have a 9 series wrecker which is maybe why he is selling this.

So what other goodies has he got that might be coming up for sale? Of course it would be very rude not to check it out:cool2:

For the price £10,000 ono (doesn't say if it's plus VAT) that's Ural 4320 V8 diesel box body territory)

He did import some top condition trucks back in the day. Has he got any cargo M35's or M109's in his collection or just the new kit?

So what other goodies has he got that might be coming up for sale? Of course it would be very rude not to check it out:cool2:

For the price £10,000 ono (doesn't say if it's plus VAT) that's Ural 4320 V8 diesel box body territory)

He did import some top condition trucks back in the day. Has he got any cargo M35's or M109's in his collection or just the new kit?

not really sure what he has for sale at the moment, i always found that he is a man who keeps his cards close to his chest, could be all sorts. im not sure that he ever had much armour though (m109) or did you mean m1009 blazer? i no that he sold plenty of those. again wether he has any for sale i couldnt say.

i had to google the ural to see what it is, its an unusual looking creature,not with out its atraction i prefer the look of the yank m series trucks myself especially with a big set of 1400 super singles. we have an 8 series tipper which we will eventually be fitting with a side opening water purification box body for use as a camper, im presuming this is what you would like one of these urals for. certainly beats setting up the tent at the shows. we camp at w+p for over 7 days as most do and it would be nice to have a fully equipped camping truck. i often fancied a hard top jimmy w.shop body truck . regards

Hi all

Just joined the forum and had to come in on this.

I have owned this vehicle in the past (2004-6) and it is a lovely example. It has been re-engined some time in its past possibly by the military and runs beautifully. I know Rod has put some work in to it lately and registered it for sale. I would love to have it again but have a Militant wrecker instead.

As far as Marltrax, I have had a few vehicles from Rod and have never been let down, he makes his living in other areas and military vehicles are more of a hobby/sideline. Regards

not really sure what he has for sale at the moment, i always found that he is a man who keeps his cards close to his chest, could be all sorts. im not sure that he ever had much armour though (m109) or did you mean m1009 blazer? i no that he sold plenty of those. again wether he has any for sale i couldnt say.

i had to google the ural to see what it is, its an unusual looking creature,not with out its atraction i prefer the look of the yank m series trucks myself especially with a big set of 1400 super singles. we have an 8 series tipper which we will eventually be fitting with a side opening water purification box body for use as a camper, im presuming this is what you would like one of these urals for. certainly beats setting up the tent at the shows. we camp at w+p for over 7 days as most do and it would be nice to have a fully equipped camping truck. i often fancied a hard top jimmy w.shop body truck . regards

I've already got a box bodied truck, a Bedford MJ with a Radar Repair Workshop body and yes, I camp in that and it's a brilliant bit of kit. The insulated body is a god send on cold nights. I need to get a generator to power all the ancillaries in it though.

I've always wanted an M series US truck as I think they look the dogs. I would love a wrecker as it's something different and would probably prove quite useful with the crane (for the one time you would need it - engine change in the Defender perhaps!!:cheesy:)

M109 A2 as in Workshop Bodied M35 A2. My mate has one and it's a nice bit of kit.

Hi all

Just joined the forum and had to come in on this.

I have owned this vehicle in the past (2004-6) and it is a lovely example. It has been re-engined some time in its past possibly by the military and runs beautifully. I know Rod has put some work in to it lately and registered it for sale. I would love to have it again but have a Militant wrecker instead.

As far as Marltrax, I have had a few vehicles from Rod and have never been let down, he makes his living in other areas and military vehicles are more of a hobby/sideline. Regards

Hello mate,

What did you use the wrecker for as it was un registered up until a short while ago? It's a lovely looking truck. Has it got all the equipment with it? I notice in the picture the welding gas bottles are missing. Do you know where the truck came from, was it US or Germany based? Also is it a growler or a whistler?

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy

Its a whistler and sounds lovely on tickover with a gentle whistle.

I had a few vehicles and tried to make a go at corporate entertainment, the M62 was bought as a tool and was hardly used. It was vital when needed but rarely needed, I used the crane a couple of times as a game swinging a weight between barrels and pulled the engine from a stalwart etc.

It is very clean, I suspect it had been refurbished before release or had a lot of work done.

It is a serious piece of kit and the pull is exceptional!

It had no loose kit when I had it but I am sure Rod can help you out if you talk nicely to him, he has a 900 series wrecker now and I think has got hold of some extra tools, stays etc

I think it came from Germany.

Regards

I came across the Marltrax web site today, but it looks like it hasn't been updated for a long time and is just a single page with a few pictures. I can remember a few years ago when they seemed to have many M-series vehicles and parts for sale.

Id say it looks a tidy truck and having the multifuel aint no bad thing, certainly be less chance of running probs, easier on fuel? and easier to maintain the engine. The only thing you have to remember with the wreckers are they are heavy for what power they got as this truck will be 15/16 tons empty and with 200hp and less you have to" drive " them unlike a m35 which is like driving a van around.My 816 weighs 17ton+ kitted up and even with 14 litre cummins its only ok. Originality shouldnt be a prob as there aint no original pre 1960 m35,s around as these would of been petrols and then came the non turbo multifuel and finally the turbo multifuel that we know was not about until the late 60,s and with the most common m35 " 1C" whistler engine being intoduced to meet 1970/71 US emmission levels according to my data plate. martin.

Id say it looks a tidy truck and having the multifuel aint no bad thing, certainly be less chance of running probs, easier on fuel? and easier to maintain the engine. The only thing you have to remember with the wreckers are they are heavy for what power they got as this truck will be 15/16 tons empty and with 200hp and less you have to" drive " them unlike a m35 which is like driving a van around.My 816 weighs 17ton+ kitted up and even with 14 litre cummins its only ok. Originality shouldnt be a prob as there aint no original pre 1960 m35,s around as these would of been petrols and then came the non turbo multifuel and finally the turbo multifuel that we know was not about until the late 60,s and with the most common m35 " 1C" whistler engine being intoduced to meet 1970/71 US emmission levels according to my data plate. martin.

Martin,

What do you reckon this would do to the gallon, about 8 mpg?

I see you have got an M35A2C. Very nice. Is it that one with the tiger stripe sort of paint job that was for sale at Beltring a few years ago? What do you run your trucks on? My mate only uses Diesel and old engine oil in his M109A2.

Martin,

What do you reckon this would do to the gallon, about 8 mpg?

I see you have got an M35A2C. Very nice. Is it that one with the tiger stripe sort of paint job that was for sale at Beltring a few years ago? What do you run your trucks on? My mate only uses Diesel and old engine oil in his M109A2.

?mpg possibly not quite that much altho with figures like these 0ne or two is irrelevant!, would very much depend on type of journeys as lugging that weight with a 7.8 litre multifuel which is basically same capacity motor as a 2.5ton m35 altho uprated it would be working quite hard if stop start journeys.My m35 on a good run will do 12/13 mpg if driven sensibly but 8 or 9 if hammered about. The cummins wrecker prob does about 4-6 mpg all the time regardless of load and altho the cummins is original fitment the gearing dont really suit that motor as the transmission was designed for the earlier multifuel trucks which has a few more revs to play with. I only use diesel if possible as i beleive the multifuel aint designed to run on crap fuel all the time, the military used it as a emergency option not a everyday thing. The diesel is the lubricant and altho parts of the fuel pump are crank pressure lubed the distributing head and injectors arent and if if lots of petrol is used then it will hammer out injector seats and wear other moving parts over time.martin

Edited by martinsaunders06