Best Museum/Collection

Its me

Hello there every body just sitting here looking at the Tank Museums website and i was thinking to my self what is the best museum or military vehicle collection i have seen or know of and i was just wondering what is your best museum or collection of military vehicles that you know of all the best hope to see some of you lot a Beltring.

Buster

Like most of us, have been in millions of museums but the best one that I have been in was in Normandy a couple of months ago. It was a museum above Omaha beach, not the main one down the bottom but the one up the top.

It is a private collection and I have never seen such unique gear in all my life, after visiting shed loads of museums in Normandy, this was simply the best. It is in an old Nissan hut that was an American cinema for the troops, I have some great pictures that I will post up but I would recommend everyone to go.....and it is only about 1/4 of their collection!

Cheers

Jack

I agree on that one Jack, the young guy that owns it has been collecting since he was a child and opened the museum just in time for the 60th anniversary. Another one I would recommend is Bayeux but I heard that it was closing, not sure what has happened although I believe that all the artefacts were privately owned and hopefully a new home could be found for them. Another one I particularly enjoyed in Normandy was the 'Wrecks' museum at Port en Bessin.

Not quite a museum but no Normandy trip is complete without a visit to the 360 degree cinema at Arromanches.

Went to the Azeville battery last year it really is excellent. As Degsy said the wrecks museum is also very good. Jack, the one at Omaha, is that the one with the landing craft outside? If so I agree, very good. I also quite like the Pegasus bridge one as well. Hoping to do that end of the coast this year, (again) only in more detail.

Don

. Jack, the one at Omaha, is that the one with the landing craft outside? If so I agree, very good. I

Don

That is the one Don. I meet him a couple of times as he came to Ivy House where we were staying and I bought my canteen of him, dam nice bloke.

Jack, I also thought that the huge metal pill-box contraption was fascinating, all those hits by AP shells would not have done the occupants hearing much good if they were at home at the time, it would be like sitting inside Big Ben :nut:. A lot of the museums have something of interest though. I get excited about a bit of concrete sticking out of a sand dune, how sad am I :oops:

Don

The museum in Saint Mere Eglise is very good too. For those on the Normdany trip I'd recommend buying the book that explains what happened where on all the signposted tour routes. It's like having a museum the size of whole battle area.