Aviation APU engine Question

phil munga

Hi all, I'm trying to find information about an APU turbine engine mainly what it would have been fitted to ,, bellow are the details from the engine plates ,,

KHD = I know this Klockner-Humbolt-Deutz

APU = Aux power unit

Type 312 Serial no 122

P/N 287 2358 KZ

Spec/n = Sp-p-52 601

Tags on starter ( genny? )

type C16504 EXP

ser.no 121/1972

24-28-5 V.D.C.

Rotax LTD London Eng.

2nd starter tag

serial No 121 2874013 k

Ignition 1-Joule H.E.I.U

NB11103 EXP 5

Ser No 111

1/p 24VDC O/P 5-10KV

Rotax LTD London

The engine with 8to1 reduction Female type drive

I know there seems to be quite a few people on here that are good at working out what all these numbers mean

Edited by phil munga

Thanks for that Mike the bloke that bought the engine from me flew over from the U.S and was traveling up to a property in Scotland so I'd say that this is my old engine that is pictured , I just wanted to find out a bit more about it as I found the folder containing its details the other day ,

when he bought the engine he left me his website details but somehow I misplaced it ,it looks an Interesting website , When I bought the engine I went down to ( before name changed ) Teeside Airport to find out a bit about the engine and a mechanic came out with some cans of oil for it , and advised be to be very careful with it , one of his colleagues has white hair after getting a shock from the ignition ,, and another had fitted a similar engine into an allegro and on the second test run he said that the engine exploded sending a piece of titanium impeller through the bulkhead killing the driver so I never really did much with the engine , On getting home after the airport visit the police turned up asking to see the said engine saying that they had been informed by airport staff that the average man on the street should not have an engine like this , I showed them the receipts for the engine and they were happy and left ,,

Edited by phil munga

The HEIU(High Energy Ingnition Unit) is like a vehicle coil on steroids. I doubt it would give you white hair unless you were vey lucky as they are touted that they will kill you.

Only on when spooling up as it runs the ignitor and is the ticking noise. Once the fire is running it's turned off :)

Damn I am having flashbacks :shocked:

You should have put it in your Raidtrac :cool2:

It was said that the ignitions were not to be opened after being turned on for 12 hours ,,

Yes I thought it a bit strange for the police to come looking at the engine and when they did they didn't have a clue what they were looking at , It could of been a washing machine drum with a load of pipes on for all they new ,,,,

some blokes not far from me have a couple pulse jets , make a right racket when they fire em up , not as bad as another chap though he's just got quite a large gas turbine engine to go in an old cortina