Garage ornaments

mark m uk

I'd guess you guys are pretty much the same as myself and hoard loads of useless stuff. The garage/workshop generally becomes your own private domain - so what things do you have as useless decoration on the walls ?

I have loads of old junk hanging from the walls of my garage

This is my favorite piece - a couple of years back I stumbled across a picture of it on the interweb, A very special day in

'Ye old Yankee pub' celebrateing the end of the war in Europe, May 1945.

yankee.jpg

scan-2.jpg

That is incredible. Where did you find that?

My Brother in law bought a little cottage in the village of Raydon in Suffolk. The cottage was sited between the old USAAF airbase, and the living quarters, known locally as 'Alcatraz'. He was taking down an old

wooden shed, and found this had been used as a shelf. He figured I'd like it and asked me to come get it. By the time I got there he had a good bonfire going. The shed he told me was lined out with plywood that he was busy burning, the ply burning furiously was stencilled 'Tank, auxillary 108 U.S. Gallon' - it seemed that the shed had been constructed from packing crates for drop tanks.

iteresring thread , the Ye old Yankee pub sign is great with the picture to go with it , the modern army now I think the niebour used to have a tracked vehicle like the one on the middle row had a ford V8 flathead,

maybe not quite the same but the barn that my Munga is in - the insulated roof panels are from the old prefab military houses that were at Catterick Garrison these were pulled down in the early eighties , and the shed that houses the lathe is built from reclaimed blocks from the same place ,

This advertisement sign was found at my grandfathers a few years ago ,CONTRACTORS TO BRITISH ADMIRALTY and WAR OFFICE

I did some research on the ships the parts were for , cant think were I put the details now ,, one was the S.S. Oceanic ,

some of these castings are over 40 tons , I went down to take a picture of the large building but its been added onto so didn't see the point but the ground where the photographer stood-there is a new building and thought I'd pop in to get a couple of pics as I like to see whats going on , at least there still doing the same sort of work , also building a full size G5 loco you'll just make out the red-oxide chassis to the rear in the second picture

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics257.jpg

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics259.jpg

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics260.jpg

maybe there are , had this one many many years , its also enameled on the rear ...

Due to political fever in Germany in the late thirties i belive praticaly every baracks, town, city etc in the father land would of had a A.H strasse.

But of course they are still produced for the fake market.

Ashley

• 1 year later...