India, Calcutta 1902 and the Viceroy.

Adam Elsdon

I am presently researching my Great Grandads history, i just recently came into posession of paperwork and photographs.

This is what i have so far, he was called Joseph Pattison and was Sergeant Major Band master to his excellency the Viceroy of India, i also have a Warrant certificate showing his promotion to Warrant Officer in-situ remaining the Viceroys Band Master.

His regiment was the Kings own Yorkshire Light Infantry (KOYLI's) and going by dates on envelopes and paperwork he was in Calcutta and Simla India at least between 1902 and 1906. I have a card listing a music arrangement for a function in 1905 at the Viceregal Lodge by Sgt Major J Pattison band master to H.E. Viceroy who was Lord Curzon at that time.

I am trying to find out his Army history in the KOYLI, but am finding it very difficult, ww1 and 2 are easy in comparison.

Also his post in India is quite high profile, but i cant find anything out other than the info i have.

Any help would be appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Adam, a bit of a result for you!

Before India he was stationed at Curepie Camp, Mauritius in 1901 for 7 1/2 months before travelling on to South Africa. I'll post the evidence shortly but the documents cannot be scanned as they are fragile so I'll take some pictures.

A bit more but from 1913.

1st YLI moved from North China 22.1.13 to Tanglin & Normanton in the Straits Settlements for 11 1/2 months. Photo evidence to follow.

PS I see that was the main strength of 860 men but there was a detachment of 34 stationed in Hong Kong for 1/2 month, that moved to the Straits Settlements on 17.1.13. Although at the same period RYI had a Regimental Depot at Pontefract with a strength of 108.

2nd LYI with a strength of 541 were in Cork for 9 months then Dublin for 3 months.

I can't see reference to them being in Jersey at that time. The only infantry unit I can find there was the 1st Deveonshire Regiment who were there for the full 12 months of 1913.

Edited by fv1609

• 4 years later...
A bit disjointed as this heading is from the previous page & the distance to camera is different.

Dscf1740.jpg

Dscf1739.jpg

I should really check my postings more often, I have only just found this while doing a bit more research. cheers Clive much appreciated for the information, it all adds to the picture.