Land Rover Series engines: diesel or petrol?

mcspool

I've seen a couple of series with 200s with no turbo, looks easy to do and you don't have to squeeze in the disco rad and intercooler.

I've had a few 2.25 petrols in the past and reckon too they're a lovely engine and it's very cheap and easy to put on electronic ignition. Anyone considering diesel conversions needs too consider the cost, it can buy a lot of fuel especially for a show vehicle.

If going diesel, stick to a LR lump, no fannying around with adaptor plates and drilling flywheels. Avoid the TD, go for either the 200 Tdi although parts will be getting hard to find (heads apparantly) or 300Tdi, lots of v rusty 300Tdi discos around. Someone's even put a Td5 (best diesel LR ever built) in a series.

Landrover never did manage to produce an engine worth running. I have never understood why, when BMC bought Rover, they never took the best of the Landrover (bodywork) and the best of the Gipsy (chassis, engine and drivetrain) to produce something really good. Just another bullet in the foot by BL I suppose.

Best engine i ever put in a series land rover was a Nissan SD33 3.3 6 cyl diesel, it outlasted two landy chassis and is now going in a third! it had 150K on the clock when it left the patrol and has easy done that again! find a LR engine that does that!

oh and it would happily do 28mpg all day, best of all you could hear yourself think!

Baz

Speaking of engine swaps, what about a LR 109 with Rover V8 4.6-litre (235 bhp) or 5-litre (280 bhp) engine? Bell Aurens in Germany offers their LR "offroadster" with a choice of engines, up to a 27-litre supercharged Rolls Royce V12 engine. . . achtung, achtung, Spitfire!! :D

Regardless of the engine choice, I really like the bodywork they package it in!

See and hear more at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh7P3FJXfaw

Hanno

Edited by mcspool