Ford WOT2

thedawnpatrol

Dear All

I came across this photo of a WOT2 with a light Warning body just like mine, The photo was taken by Stuart Wright at a Duxford Military Vehicle Show about 12 to 14 years ago.

Does anyone know who this WOT2 belongs to ? Registration PSU 552

I would just like to get in touch 'to compare notes' !

Cheers

Jules

48652.jpg

Hello Runflat

Thanks for that, having compared the photo's you're right, it is now in the Shuttleworth collection.

So I am still right in thinking that with mine, and this one, there are no more with this type of body.......................................unless anyone knows different?

Jules

fordson.jpg

I was the second owner of that vehicle after it was originally rescued from a barn.

It featured on the front of Windscreen magazine many years ago with an article describing its rescue.

The back was never fitted with any equipment and it was sold out of army use with basically delivery mileage only.

Quite if the hard top is original could never be confirmed.

REME 245, do you have a copy of that article, I could see ?

Interesting what you say, mine was found 'in a barn' many years ago.

I think that the Hard Cab roof is original, I have seen them in original photo's with the same, also there are photo's of 15cwt Guy Ant's with Light Warning Bodys and hard cab tops.

I must also add, that having erected the Light Warning Aerial on mine back in the summer, it took two of us on the roof & two on the ground passing poles up, and I certainly, more than once wanted to stand on the cab roof, which is not wise if it is canvass!! to reach.

Jules

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Runflat

So I am still right in thinking that with mine, and this one, there are no more with this type of body.......................................unless anyone knows different?

Jules

Jules,

There was a WOT 2 in the budge collection. It has a radio body, i couldn't say what type, but i do know it was completely rebuilt. I did come across a picture of it, i'll see if i can find it again

Edited by rippo

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Those pictures are REALLY interesting, because I think it is mine, when were they taken, the view of the inside, shows the folding table, and the 'planked' over wheel arches just as mine did.

I know nothing of the Budge collection, where is it and who do I contact to ask what happened to it ?

Jules

The A F Budge collection was set up in the 1980s (?) by Tony Budge.

He established a world renowed collection of mainly tracked and armoured MVs. The collection is now disbanded but a fair number of his collection made their way into Jacques Littlefield's Military Vehicle Technology Foundation.

The WOT2 may have been sold off at the end the Budge collection or during the collection's existence - Budge was always refining his collection.

There was a write-up on the collection in Wheels & Tracks #22.

Hello Runflat

Thanks for that, having compared the photo's you're right, it is now in the Shuttleworth collection.

Jules

Hi Jules , I think you are fairly right with your assumption that there aren't a lot of 15cwt vehicles around with the "Gin Palace" or "House type" bodies on them as I fear a lot will have been removed post ruddington auctions etc and used for chicken sheds and the like as I remember an old school scrap yard many moons ago near where I live that had one as a brew cabin which was lost when the yard was closed and cleared .

My 1942 Guy Ant has a House Body on it which is a different variant of the one seen on the Wot2's in the pics as it is the standard wood frame with hard board to the interior and tin sheet to the exterior with a canvas oversheet to the roof but mine has all the fixtures and fittings for use with the ws19's - It has a window over the top of the soft cab and spare wheel mount to the roof as well as the fold down map table on one side and the tube carrying rack to the other . I do fear that these trucks are fairly rare in there own rights and I have been told mine may be the only surviving Guy Ant with a wireless body on it - There was another , a tin top , but I have been led to believe it now sports a g.s body on its' back ? Unless someone can tell me different ?

Cheers

Glynn,

Would love to see some photos of your Guy Ant, also your CS8, as I am about to start work on my project.

Jules

Hi Jules - Hopefully there should be a couple of pics of my 1942 Guy Ant wireless truck which were taken a number of years back on one of the Normandy do's It has changed a little since then but only in minor details - I will post more later and some of my 1940 Morris Commercial CS8 - I also have a 1939 model which I will hopefully start work on sometime next year .

What model is yours and what body etc has it got ? Some pics? either post them up here or pm me if you like

Cheers

mudlark 028.jpg

mudlark 036.jpg

Hi Glynn

Very nice Vehicles, Have you got any Radio kit in your Guy ?

I would love to come and see them sometime, seeing your CS8 really makes me want to get on with mine, I hope to start in January and have her ready for May/June.

I will be very pleased if mine looks like yours by next Summer.

I'll PM you.

Jules

Image046.jpg

Image048.jpg

Image053.jpg

Hi Glynn

Very nice Vehicles, Have you got any Radio kit in your Guy ?

I would love to come and see them sometime, seeing your CS8 really makes me want to get on with mine, I hope to start in January and have her ready for May/June.

I will be very pleased if mine looks like yours by next Summer.

I'll PM you.

Jules

Hi Jules ,

I have , after nearly 20 years ownership of the Guy , finally got most of the kit for the inside of the Guy Wireless Truck - It is kitted with ws19's and all the associated kit incl a Genny and the awning for the side of the wireless body - It is in dock at the mo but hoping to have all works completed for next summer ... so keep in touch - I 'll await your pm

Cheers:coffee:

Hi Jules ,

I have , after nearly 20 years ownership of the Guy , finally got most of the kit for the inside of the Guy Wireless Truck - It is kitted with ws19's and all the associated kit incl a Genny and the awning for the side of the wireless body - It is in dock at the mo but hoping to have all works completed for next summer ... so keep in touch - I 'll await your pm

Cheers:coffee:

HI Glyn,

Interesting thread between you and jules (hi Jules!) I am doing a C4 W/T with the same wireless house as yours. Have you a pic of the genny on yours, or tell me what make etc it is? I have a pic of my Dad in Normandy with his wireless truck and the genny is in the background, with the batteries out on charge. Any help appreciated.

thanks

Simon

HI Glyn,

Interesting thread between you and jules (hi Jules!) I am doing a C4 W/T with the same wireless house as yours. Have you a pic of the genny on yours, or tell me what make etc it is? I have a pic of my Dad in Normandy with his wireless truck and the genny is in the background, with the batteries out on charge. Any help appreciated.

thanks

Simon

Hi Simon ,

The Genny in the rear compartment of my Guy is only the standard Wartime BSA Charging set - The Larger type (fitted to pigs etc postwar) with the wire cage round it rather than the 80 watt small suitcase type which I have as a back up . You will be fairly safe fitting most wartime gennys in the rear compartment as they fastened to a slide out metal frame which I have finally sourced and will take most incl the lend lease Onan etc Is your truck fully kitted in the rear with all the cupboards and brackets , operating table and seats etc . Some pics would be good at some stage if you have any - Either post them up here or pm me cheers

I suppose I should start a new thread about the 15cwt Wireless bodies ?? :coffee:

HI Glyn,

Yeah I have 2 bodies actually, to make one. I have all the interior, which as you know is the hard bit. Table, lights etc. These are all restored and I have the sliding assembly for the genny. So is it the 550 BSA you have? The one in my Dad's pix has sloping tube rails on the top, which is unusual.

I'm busy just finished my MW, now doing the '37 CS8 and want to get on to the WT so I can show it to my dad, as he's not getting any younger! However, last few 15cwts i've done will speed up the process nicely. Especially the CS8, as it's esentially the same vehicle as we know. There are advantages. The canvas seats are in great shape and will fit the WT perfectly. I will get leather versions made for the earlier truck, and i have got 2 C4 to choose parts from. Ultimately i will end up with a C4 GS with most bits (but not all) which i will prob sell.

Yes a WT thread will be brill!

cheers

• 2 months later...