Golden oldies

plainmilitary

Just a few golden oldies. Once again all these photos have been found in the local recycle center.

AA11.jpg

AA3-1.jpg

AA4-2.jpg

AA14.jpg

AA20.jpg

AA24.jpg

AA28.jpg

AA25.jpg

AA32.jpg

AA37.jpg

Even though these pictures have been found they still carry the Crown copyright. The last picture is dated 1972 and I assume this is the BBMF. One thing I find strange about the Lanc is there seems to be no top gun turret.

XH535 Vulcan, one of the Fatal Vulcan crashes in which the Pilot and Co-Pilot ejected but the other three crew who had no ejector seats, perished, (as was so often the case)

11 May, 1964. Vulcan XH535 stalled during a low speed descent near Andover, Hampshire and went into a spin. In an attempt to regain control the pilot deployed the landing braking parachute. This momentarily regained control but the aircraft began to spin again shortly afterwards. Unable to regain control he gave the order to bail out at 2,500 feet. Pilot and co-pilot ejected safely but the remaining three were unable to get out, probably due to centrifugal forces developed by the spin.

First off the Lancaster. It is the BBMF. The mid upper turret was only fitted relatively recently thanks to funds raised by the Lincolnshire Lancaster Association which is a charity that supports the BBMF in many ways and is available to anyone to join for a measly £10 a year and includes two excellent magazines during the year - yep I'm a member hence the plug!

The Vulcan looks to be the one used as a Sapphire engine testbed. The big bulge that you are referring to is actually an optical illusion due to the angle of the photograph which, looking at the buildings in the background was taken at RAE Farnborough.

Just a few golden oldies. Once again all these photos have been found in the local recycle center.

...One thing I find strange about the Lanc is there seems to be no top gun turret.

Lanc top turret was reinstalled in 1975. It had been removed immediately post war, when it was when it was on survey work in Africa with 82 Squadron. (along with all her other turrets), This aircraft was used for the Handley Page Laminar flow wing development trials and had a variety of vertical "wings" sticking out the top of the fuselage.

Edited by antarmike

On 11 May 1964, Vulcan B2 XH535 crashed during a low speed demonstration. The test pilot was demonstrating a very low speed and high rate of descent when the aircraft began to spin. The landing parachute was deployed and the spin stopped briefly but the aircraft then began to spin again. At around 2,500 ft (760 m) the aircraft commander instructed the crew to abandon the aircraft. The aircraft commander and co-pilot ejected successfully but none of the crew in the rear compartment did so, presumably due to the g forces in the spin.

I am trying to make sense of the Nimrod photo where the Canberra?? appears to be trailing in flight refuelling gear and leaking fuel in a mist cloud.

I was aware that some aircraft such as the Buccaneer could carry a "Buddy" refuelling pod on an underwing pylon, and then carried a slipper tank, but I can't see the slipper tank and the Refuuelling gear( if that is what it is?) seemss to be coming from the wrong area of the plane.

Edited by antarmike

Vulcan testbed.

Experimental testbed

A Vulcan was used as a testbed for the afterburning Olympus 320 for the TSR-2, the planned Concorde engine, the Rolls-Royce/Snecma Olympus 593 and the Rolls-Royce Conway turbofan. While testing the Bristol Olympus for the TSR-2, the engine disintegrated, setting the Vulcan on fire and also the fire tender in attendance. The crew escaped unhurt.

Tony

The Vulcan looks to be the one used as a Sapphire engine testbed. The big bulge that you are referring to is actually an optical illusion due to the angle of the photograph which, looking at the buildings in the background was taken at RAE Farnborough.

I thought the Vulcan first prototype initially had Avons as its main engines but it was successively fitted with Sapphires, then Olympus 102/ Olympus 104 and finally Conways. The second prototype, and all subsequent Vulcans were Olympus powered (of different Marks). Why would Sapphires be fitted to a Vulcan, when only the first prototype had this engine briefly, and all susbequent Vulcans had moved onto various marks of Olympus?

The intakes seem to be feeding into the "bulge" and the back of the bulge has a definite exhaust jetstream.

I still think two intakes are feeding into the Bulge that contains one or two engines...

Bulge seems a bit like Javelin simulation...

Edited by antarmike

Vulcan testbed.

Experimental testbed

A Vulcan was used as a testbed for the afterburning Olympus 320 for the TSR-2, the planned Concorde engine, the Rolls-Royce/Snecma Olympus 593 and the Rolls-Royce Conway turbofan. While testing the Bristol Olympus for the TSR-2, the engine disintegrated, setting the Vulcan on fire and also the fire tender in attendance. The crew escaped unhurt.

Tony

Sorry missed this post, That seems a very reasonable explanation.

Vulcan testbed.

Experimental testbed

Tony

I heard a story some years ago that a Bank in London had a Bristol Olympus engine running the standby Generator for the Computer system. One day the engine exploded and they never found the Engineer who was working on it at the time. Anyone know if this is true?