Champ Paint

EAARS100

Hi All

Well I have taken the plunge and bought an Austin Champ,its partly restored but needs some panels and welding to floor etc.Hopefully axles are OK.I have ordered new floor panels and will get them welded in soon[hopefully half term week,as I am off that week]After this I will need to rub down and paint my Wagon,I am thinking of using rollers to paint Champ.Does Anybody know Roughly how much paint I will need and what type of primer is best,Hopefully Green finish.Thanks for any Help/advice

Andy

Hi mate, painted loads of landys and my dads old champ twice.

For a champ you will need 2 litres of top coat, I buy my paint from the local motor paint supplier, synthetic, that way you can put it on top off anything.

I use short pile gloss rollers(£5 for 2 from b&q).

You will also need a good brush for the fidliy bits.

As for primer, ive never used it!, just rub down old paint well and put top coat straight on. However, if you want to use primer, red oxide/grey coulour will do.

Hope that helps.

I've found that a damm good vehicle paint is Dulux Wethersheild Metal! :shocked:

The colour centre can match any shade you take in, so I did an old trailer that I wanted to look 'Faded',Satin finish , hard as nails easy to clean, reminds me of the old Blackfriar's Tractor Enamel.

Alternativley if you want it to look smart, use a quality paint from an automotive supplier and spray it on.

Does spraying always give a superior finish? The Dulux stuff will spray as well.

I'll lay good money most miltary vehicles at some time in thier lives end up with a yard brush finish. The military reason for paint is Preservation, then prensentation. A lot of WW2 vehicles have a wood component, if as mine is it is used for Living history and re-enactment a load of bodies in boots and various bits of kit chucked in the back, the Dulux gives a good colour match to original, hard finish and easy touch up.