War Time maintenance

Stormin

Just been doing a boring job in the garage, wire wheeling WLF wheel nuts.

Got to thinking about maintenance during war time. Having read the Ward La France TM manual the list of regular maintenance operations is quite extensive. If the vehicle was maintained to those standards it would be in superb condition.

Obviously 65 years, several owners and being stood around a long time means things aren't as good as they could be but what's the general opionion on maintenance and vehicle care during war time?

I know most vehicles will have suffered similarly to mine since and require extensive restoration but I'm interested in the time during service. Where they really treated by the users as if they're life depended on them? Remembering many soldiers during the war were called up rather than volunteers.

I have a feeling things must have varied, vehicles must have missed out on regular checks whilst on the front line and potentially under fire, were as those on the rear echelons could easily get the full treatment. I suppose some vehicles were more likely to be in former sitution than others.

Has anyone had experience of vehicles directly released from war sevice or had stories re-counted by ex-servicemen as to the level of care and maintenance that actually went on?

Norman

a great question and i hope leads to some interesting answers. i cant see the level of care us amatuars give being applied to every part of the vehicle but i reckon the things that meant life and death recieved more care than any enthusiast would ever lavish

Iain

the war diary for my Dad's unit refers to vehicles in May 1945, after cessation of hostilities, when it spends a few days recording efforts to get Austin 3 tonners, which it had been issued with in connection with occupation duties, replaced as they were "worn out"

for most of 1945 he was a rear area unit, so whilst they had the time they may not of had the priority for supplies, so possibility could not actually maintain them anyway

In the UK during WW2, many Civilian garages were used for Military Vehicle maintenance, and there was a booklet produced showing which dealers were to be used. Therefore the standard of maintenance could be variable?