My Dad's Series 3 Landrover

Guest Yin717

Guest Yin717

I thought I'd give a brief and awful review of Ted, the landy. I'll get some pics of it later or maybe see if I can get some of my Dad's comp.

Anyway's. The vehicle actually isn't really a Series 3. I am a little sketchy on it's history but this is what I have picked up from the eavesdropping, yes I am a eavesdropper on my parents but all kids do it ssssssh. From what I have learnt the vehicle is actually a mixture of alot of different series vehicles. I think a majority of the bodywork is Series 2 and Series 3 and actually alot of the engine is actually Series 2A, which is why our mechanic sometimes get's frustrated when doing work on it. lol. However the main part of the engine itself is actually Series 3 which is why it is classified as a Series 3. But because most of the bodywork and all that actually came from a 'scrapyard' you see interesting features such as both sliding windows are actually for the left hand side. I'll try and get a pic of that.

My Dad has done alot of work to it over the years after the last owners didn't give in the best condition in the world. He's spent alot of money trying to improve the engine and updating it, he's even made the cylinders now respond to a computer I believe rather than to a machine! He's added a winch, which he's never used, a roof rack, which we always use, two forward facing seats in the back considering we're a family of five and other numerous gadgets. One of my favourites is the smoker thing that he's wired in. We now get to use electrical devices in it without batteries!

We all love Ted, other than my Mum who doesn't get involved but even she admits he's great, and it is the only thing that sends my 3 year old sister to sleep! We used to do greenlaning alot but when my baby sister came along it all stopped with other duties that became more important so now we really only use the landy for taking stuff to the dump and Ikea trips. lol. If you read the Land Enthusiasts magazine for September/October you would have seen Ted in it as one of the articles my Dad wrote so that would of given more detail. All in all I'm proud of what my Dad has done and I hope you do to even if this is a poor description. I'll try get some pics for you to see especially of those windows. lol.

Ieuan

Edited by Yin717

Guest Yin717

lol. Yeah! I'm looking to get myself my Lightweight, provided my Dad doesn't get there first. I think I might just persuade him to get a jeep first. lol.

Guest Yin717

I never said our landy was dieing. Actually it;s getting better. It's starting pretty much every time first time compared to when we first got it and it would take at least 4 starts! I must admit the last owners didn't keep it in the best nick ever. But my Dad's strained over it and my Mum wrote this poem for my 9 year old sister saying:

My Dad has landy called Ted,

It makes him go soft in the head.

He gives it more love,

Than me and my bruv.

That's not true but almost he said.

I just laugh ever time I read that. As to that Dodge that certainly looks like the way travel, unless of course it's winter. That back compartment doesn't looks as warm as the front.