Landrover Defender aux power

paul connor

Just a quick question. I'm thinking of installing a headunit(stereo FM/CD) and some speakers in a box that can sit on the centre seat when needed in the cab.

My question is this...

The Aux Power plug on the dash. The 2 pin one. Could it power a 12V radio with out issues? as I do not know what this is rated at? 12V i know.. but what is it fused at and amps etc?

I know I would lose all presets in the radio etc every time its off but thats not an issue as I do not want to spoil the originality by hacking into the dash tofit one!

ah, ok. So an In-line fuse(medium sized nail) is a must on that one then.. Thank you Uncle Cliv! you are a floatilla of knowledge! haha

I just think that a seperate unit all in one (speakers and radio) helps for security and originality..

So I can drone out my engine and gearbox with some modern tunes from cutting edge artists of the Techno Gabba hardcore Dance world such as Lonnie Donnigan

Paul I would be tempted to wire an in-line fuse behind the dash where it feeds into the +ve terminal. Something in the 5-10A region.

That way your socket always has protection for whatever you decide to dangle from the aux sockets. Those in-line cartridge fuse holders, if not tucked away, can easily get damaged. Then it all springs apart & it is so easy for a live terminal to short to chassis.

I used to have a large ammo box mounted in lieu of a chubby box. I hinged the lid to which I mounted speaker pods on the inside & radio/CD player inside the box. It could easily fold down to cover all the stuff up & an old ammo box didn't look out of place.

I fitted a discrete lock to the lid, which gave a bit of added security & was useful for hiding tools & slightly valuable things.

Gabba hardcore? I'm sorry you've lost me.

You seriously think a standard car radio will drown out the noise of a Land Rover? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::n00b:

Beter put it all in a Tupperware box as well! Radios don't like water!

VWP sell blade fuse holders which almost directly replace the horrid glass ones, I can highly recommend that as an upgrade.

As for a stereo - always fit a fuse! Preferably as close to the battery/source feed as possible, or find a spare slot in the main fusebox.

TonyB is right though, you'll need a hell of a stereo to drown out a Land Rover, and the first time it gets muddy or wet you may let the smoke out of it anyway, or the buttons will stop working, or the CD drive will be full of dust...

The most effective stereo install I've seen was a mate's Camel 110 which had a head unit inside the centre cubby box and then slim household column speakers cable-tied to the top of the rollcage bar in the boot. They tucked in nicely out of harm's way and because there were 4 of them they really kicked out the jams. Until he sunk it windscreen deep and blew the head unit up of course.

Roll cages also give you somewhere to hang the glitterball.

Guest Yin717

Well considering it's a defender I would be surprised if it couldn't! I mean at the end of the day unless it is a series you'll have no probs, and at the end of the day you can wire a normal car radio into a Series Land Rover and it would still work fine! I mean these vehicles are designed to power winch's and stuff as well, not to mention the fact that a defender is like a car with twice the power. Hope this helps Paul.

Paul - I think you're a little confused :P Land Rovers have (relatively) low capacity electrical systems as they do not have any of the electronic luxuries of "normal" cars. 35-50 amp alternators are common (compare with 90A for a Ford Mondeo and 140A for a BMW with all the gadgets).

Winches are usually powered from a mechanical power take-off, either directly or via a hydraulic system.

Aftermarket electrical winches are just that - aftermarket. All the guys who run electric winches in competition have 2 or 3 batteries, bigger alternators (and sometimes multliple alternators), split charge systems, 12 & 24v systems, etc. with twin-motor winches drawing upwards of 1000A on full load (which no alternator will keep up with for very long).

It's entirely possible to overload a LR alternator by bolting on a few extra spotlights. Happily it's usually relatively easy to make a bigger alternator fit, but you do need to uprate the charge wire & any associated wiring to avoid melting it.

Well considering it's a defender I would be surprised if it couldn't! I mean at the end of the day unless it is a series you'll have no probs, and at the end of the day you can wire a normal car radio into a Series Land Rover and it would still work fine! I mean these vehicles are designed to power winch's and stuff as well, not to mention the fact that a defender is like a car with twice the power. Hope this helps Paul.

"Like a car with twice the power" who you trying to kid ?