MUNGA/Iltis

andrewroberts.1953

• 1 month later...

I own an Iltis - I agree with Morris C8 FAT - who knows me and has had a good laugh at mine that "for my sins" is a far assessment. I love my Iltis - it's pig ugly and is a cow to drive when it wants to be. But it is a pure military vehicle and nobody anywhere near where I live has one. Taking it to a VW rally is great fun, they don't know whether to love you or look upon you as horse poo on their shoes. Who cares?

Would I buy one again? No. But selling it would be a real heartbreaker. My biggest disappointment is never getting round to restoring it or buying proper kit for it to make it look pretty. Too many other things to do. Sames as it ever was!

Hello

Good see that I am not the only Iltis owner :evil:!

I drove one in Germany, on exchange. Had a friend who had one, so when this one came up I grabbed it.

Needs a fair bit of work, the last owner painted in yellow with house gloss and big dirty brush! :x

He also let it get a bit rusty and shot the gearbox as well! :-o

The idea is to get it sorted once I have one of the MUNGA's on the road, and my short wheel FFR ready again.

I did take a friends Iltis to a local rally many years ago, and was told it was a kit car! And that VW never made a military vehicle post war. And I know how you feel about the VW clubs, mine don't want to know me.

It's fun with the MUNGA, as everyone thinks that it's an Audi due to the four rings! I have spent hours explaning to people about the Auto Union.

Have fun and don't get too much sun.

The biggest pain in the rear is getting the lid and doors off. It looks good in the manual with the two refugees from the Village People doing it - but in real life it takes a small team. I find that the vehicle is most comfortable with the top on and doors off. All the benefit of warm weather without the frying. I would love to make a replica of one of the late Canadian Iltis I've seen pix of that was in Afghanistan - complete with missile launcher and lots of hardware. But as I haven't even got mine in proper Nato green in three years then.... With a 1700 turbo diesel I get a comfy 60mph out of it in a fair wind - the plus side is putting in a tenner of diesel every six months. I like the kit car reference. I'm always asked if it's amphibious - and nobody believes its a VW. Apparently the company wouldn't allow an Audi badge on it. I've always liked Mungas - maybe next time. But I also fancy an M38 or a Mutt or even a Minerva LR or one of the smaller Volvos.Need a lotto win first though!! Meanwhile the Iltis stays and I can window shop at Beltring...again.

• 7 months later...