DIY grit blasting

ACH

I'd like to give my chassis a good clean up and a decent coat of paint before putting the body back on. I wondered if anybody has had any success with these cheap blast pots? Machine Mart are now selling one for under £50 but they don't state CFM to run it.

I got a quote locally to blast and prime a LWB Landrover chassis of £150 which I thought was a bit steep, apparently it's nearer £500 for a lorry, they do do a good job but the money could be better spent.

For £150 I would get it done!

If you trust them to actually blast clean it and not just paint over the rust!

Cost me £300 to get my 101 chassis and axles blasted a couple of years ago. I then spent half the next day getting the bits they'd missed before I could prime it.

The £50 blast pots are a waste of time. The £126 pressure blast pot is far superior as it has a better flow of grit. A 3hp, 14cfm compressor is the absolute minimum requirement to run one of these. Even then it's going to take you all day to blast a Land Rover chassis. The first bits blasted will be getting surface rust before you start painting. It'll also give your home electric compressor a hell of a work out if it doesn't finish it off completely.

I started with one of the small blast pots but progressed to my own home made larger one and a road compressor. A road compressor greater than 100cfm is what you really need for successful blasting.

I concur with the previous statements . I bought a small hopper fed blasting set several years ago . I used it to strip my Morris 10cwt chassis - which took forever - and have used it on sundry small bits and pieces since . I also have one of the small recycling blasters . Whilst for convienience it might be worthwhile cleaning small parts yourself it is a far better investment to pay a pro to do the big stuff and most likely they will prime it for you too which will leave you free to get on with something else and possibly advance your restoration a little quicker .

I do have a small blast cabinet which my 3hp 14cfm compressor just about manages to run on a good day. It's not a Landrover chassis I wanted done it's the Bedford RL chassis that needs doing and some of the reasons given above is why I want to do it myself, also I would like to blast the new steel buck before painting and fitting and the Atlas crane needs a tidy up. And of course I'm sure there'll be more things in the future including that 109 chassis.

I might as well bite the bullet and get myself a large 3 phase compressor or ideally a road tow.

If you've got lots to do and it's going to be done in dribs and drabs then your own set-up starts to make sense.

That's exactly the situation I'm in with the Ward La France. Lots of parts to blast, some large some small, not all to be done at the same time. Probably cost thousands with a blast company, so I invested in a road tow compressor and self built blast pot.

See here for how I built my blast pot.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10682

Could you not just hire the kit for a couple of weekends to get the jobs done?

Jamie

Problem with hiring the kit is predicting the weather. Chances of getting a decent few rain free weekends are slim.

Slightest bit of moisture about and you've wasted your time and effort not to mention money!

Unless of course you have a huge great tent or similar structure to work under.

Norman, you've done a great job of that blast pot, I've started looking for the bits to build one myself and find a suitable compressor. There's some 100cfm 3 phase ones on Ebay at the moment.

The problem with hiring stuff, something always crops up to stop you using it in the alotted time, without the other reasons Norman has pointed out.