What's the story on my Landy???

Little Terry

I've had this 1952 80" since I was 18 in 1996. Used it for going to school, offroading, commuting to work and shooting etc.

It's always had a little brass plate screwed to the bulkhead, which I presumed was a later addition that a previous owner had found and screwed on and nothing to do with the actual vehicle.

However, I just thought I'd post this to see if anyone can tell me what it's all about? Is there any way I can trace it's history?

The chassis and bulkhead are painted the same colour as the wheels, which is not the 'proper' bronze green - is it a military colour? It doesn't look like the chassis or bulkhead have ever been welded/restored....

Cheers,

Mark.

2576007760103085106S600x600Q85.jpg

2371831930103085106S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by Little Terry

What a lovely little S1. The Heritage Motor Centre will for a small fee provide you with all the original build details and a certificate. See here: http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/shopimages/shopbanner.jpg

Hope this helps. Daz

PS This place is well worth a visit if you into British cars and there are loads of rare Land rovers too. :cool2:

What a lovely little S1. The Heritage Motor Centre will for a small fee provide you with all the original build details and a certificate. See here: http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/shopimages/shopbanner.jpg

Hope this helps. Daz

PS This place is well worth a visit if you into British cars and there are loads of rare Land rovers too. :cool2:

Thanks Daz, I have ordered a certificate for my Landy! :)

It is what I would expect of a first assistance truck with foam generator - the plate is good provenance.

The Contract No. is looking good , could be army (and records should turn out something at Deepcut Barracks (who retain the old Beverly Museum of Army Transport record cards) they make a charge of a few pounds IIRC £25) but I would be looking for the first paint coat to have been RAF Blue / Grey.

Your first search that you are engaged in should turn out the military vehicle registration number. However if you have a good clear and unmolested chassis number branded on the dumb iron (with Blue / Grey paint) , then I would go straight to the RAF museum and ask them to do a history search for you because it is for £ free