downrated 4 tonners

chevpol

Question

4 answers to this question

ok, maybe I'm being fik (ahem... "thick" ;)), or maybe it's the bus driver in me, but I can't wrap my head around this concept, but how the hell DO you downrate an LGV to 7.5 tonne general licence specs, and what are the limitations on loading, once you've accomplished this?!

Ta muchly for as best a one-syllable word(s) explanation for this 'ere fiko ;)

ok, maybe I'm being fik (ahem... "thick" ;)), or maybe it's the bus driver in me, but I can't wrap my head around this concept, but how the hell DO you downrate an LGV to 7.5 tonne general licence specs, and what are the limitations on loading, once you've accomplished this?!

Ta muchly for as best a one-syllable word(s) explanation for this 'ere fiko ;)

Fit metal spacer plates to the suspension end-stops (so the suspension travel is reduced). Get the paperwork filled out ready for a VOSA inspection and they'll authorise a new loading plate to rivet over/in place of the old one, with the new maximum authorised mass on.

How you figure out what size plates to fit is the hard bit. There are some companies (ev SV Tech) who'll do it for you based on a computer analysis of the suspension layout and then send you the plates and paperwork for you to fit yourself.

As for loading, as a rule of thumb you're required to keep about 2t of carrying capacity - an unladen MJ weighs about 5600kg so you're very close if you've got anything on the back. I'd have said a comms body would most likely be overloading it, but you'd have to get it on a weighbridge to make sure. Personally I wouldn't run the risk, VOSA can really ruin your day if they stop you.

As for the original question, you can tow up to a 750kg trailer on a C1 license. If you have C1+E you can tow any trailer, provided the combination does not exceed 12 tonnes MAM and the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle. See here.

HTH :)

Stone

As for the original question, you can tow up to a 750kg trailer on a C1 license. If you have C1+E you can tow any trailer, provided the combination does not exceed 12 tonnes MAM and the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle. See here.

HTH :)

Stone

Agree with the above but do check your licence as sometimes there will be an "information Code" next to the licence category like "number 107" which then states "Not more than 8250kg" that being the combined weight of vehicle and trailer.

Agree with the above but do check your licence as sometimes there will be an "information Code" next to the licence category like "number 107" which then states "Not more than 8250kg" that being the combined weight of vehicle and trailer.

Correct, apologies. If you acquired cat C1 by grandfather rights (holding a cat B license prior to 1997) then it will have the 8.25t caveat, if you were now to take a C1 test you'd be fine up to 12t.

Stone