Odd problem starting my Pig.

Marines42

While I was home in the Summer from Iraq, I was busy finishing restoration on my Ferret so my Pig sat neglected for the most part. I went in one day to crank her up and immediately upon powering up, I heard a heavy vibration and ticking. It would turn over but I never did get her to crank. I had no problems cranking her up when I left home previously. She maybe sat for 3 months in a garage and with a nice warm outside temp. I put if off as the Ferret had me plenty busy. Any ideas gents?

Really you'd want to turn her over by hand to make sure she is free. If she is then it is just a battery / terminal / connection thing.

If she won't turn over, most likely a coolant leak into a cylinder, so drain down, check cylinders, plugs out, diesel or oil in bores and see what you can do. If that doesn't improve it - head off and clean up, as it'll need a new gasket anyway. Check block and head for cracks to water jacket, and so on.

This is my starting routine, might be useful!

I always D.I. (Daily Inspect) the oil, water and fuel levels before i do anything, as it may indicate any problems.

If i havent started my Pig for a while, i prime the carburettor off of the fuel pump lever until i hear the petrol squishing in the carb float chamber(Your head will be next to the carb as you reach down to the fuel pump lever!) give the accelerator two full pushes and leave the choke off, generally it always starts first time, i then keep the revs low until the oil has had a chance to get around the engine and give the throttle a few blips to clear its throat, let it warm up to temperature and its ready roll.

If i crank it over without priming, generally it floods the engine, i hardly ever use the choke, it has to be really cold for that, and if i dont let it warm up before driving, it isnt a particularly great driving experience as it sluggishly drags itself along "groaning" is the best way to describe it, not a happy Pig!

Edited by Adam Elsdon

The other advantage you have Adam is that the single speed is much easier to turn than the 2-speed with all its gears & heavier bearings. All the 2-speeds I have turned, new or well worn, have been extremely stiff. This has to be overcome by the engine & this is wasted power. I wonder if you get slightly better mpg if you have a single speed?

I had even contemplated removing the lower gearing but if you don't top up the dynamo gearbox after non-use then the clutch fails & you lose the low rev charging facility. Might that then mean improved mpg, as most of us don't need the low revs static charging facility?