FV1600 owners torsion bar alert

fv1609

Apart from a 15 mile jaunt in May the Pig’s last outing was W&P last year. In readiness for GDSF I have been giving it the big service, after nearly a day's work I inspected the torsion bars & their mountings. Fine at the front but not so at the rear. On both sides the lower bolt of three has bent in a hole that has ovalled out in the upper suspension arm.

Nearside

DSCF1295.jpg

Offside

DSCF1294.jpg

The bolt is so twisted on the nearside that at first I thought it had sheared. Very annoying, now as the Pig won’t get a show until Overlord next year. But I’m glad I spotted that now not a police/VOSA accident investigator!

Luckily I happen to have a spare upper arm

DSCF1284.jpg

Although I have another set on the old GS chassis outside, I don't really want to use those as they were later modified with an improved grease distribution system within the bushes. So first I will replace not so bad one with the spare. The arms are not sided so I can then take the old offside one & fit it to the nearside. I think the worn end would still be usable as it just supports the rebound support arm.

DSCF1285.jpg

So I would go & have a look at yours before you next take your Humber out!

Just need a servo to make it stop, do you still have that spare going, Croc is going to GDSF if you have!!

I do have a spare one, but was it you that asked before or was it the other Adam I promised it too. So Other Adam speak up if you were there first. If not I can bring it to GDSF £25, but I will need reminding. I'm back on Monday to load up.

Allways a good reason to just lie underneath the old girl dreaming ! :-D

Can't beat it can you.

You still going to Kemble ?

Yes in Shorland but I'm in a mega depression, that I haven't pigged out at a proper show this year & will have to wait 9 months now. Also annoyed that it has been like this for a year & I could have done something about it. But most of us tend not to do a service & chassis check at the end of the season. Another lesson learned!

I do have a spare one, but was it you that asked before or was it the other Adam I promised it too. So Other Adam speak up if you were there first. If not I can bring it to GDSF £25, but I will need reminding. I'm back on Monday to load up.

It was i! it was my blog that you put a nice exploded diagram of the servo on etc.

I am suffering from Pig withdrawal at the moment, hardly done any shows this year so far due to a knackered ankle etc, that and the fact the brakes sometimes work fine, sometimes dont is a little off putting, it'll be right eventually though.:)

Croc has instructions to find you at GDSF, he will be there with his missus and Mike's collection of trucks, Militant, Matador etc.

Edited by Adam Elsdon

It was i! it was my blog that you put a nice exploded diagram of the servo on etc.

I am suffering from Pig withdrawal at the moment, hardly done any shows this year so far due to a knackered ankle etc, that and the fact the brakes sometimes work fine, sometimes dont is a little off putting, it'll be right eventually though.:)

Croc has instructions to find you at GDSF, he will be there with his missus and Mike's collection of trucks, Militant, Matador etc.

Right ok, I'm with you. I've put it on the list to pack. Although a PM to remind me tomorrow night might be a wise precaution. Space in the Shorland is at a premium & need to squeeze it in somewhere.

Nearly another triumph for my reading dyslexia. At first I read "knackered ankle" as "knackered axle". I was going to send you a page from the EMER to help you repair it! Hopefully your ankle will heal with time, unlike a axle or torsion bar!

• 1 month later...

Well I needed, 6 replacement bushes for the torsion bar mountings. I was contemplating how to remove them from some old units then I thought to look in the box of LV9/BOE bits.

DSCF1365.jpg

And there they were.

DSCF1367.jpg

Seemed a shame to break into the sanctity of the box, but they had been in their for 56 years waiting to be used.

DSCF1377.jpg

As good as the day they were packaged.

DSCF1380.jpg

These Humber bits were repackaged for export & went with a load of Champ spares to Africa. They gradually found their way back to the UK. I bought this little pile about 15 years ago I think. Together with 4 hubs in boxes. Just had to buy them as they were LV9/BOE. Mainly things that don't really wear out, but they do! I have already had to use one of the hubs.

DSCF1366.jpg