Normandy pictures 2

Jack

Ok, here is some Band of Brothers images, have some more to go up and thanks to Steve for his 'guide' services.

Memorial for the crashed C-47 that crashed with Meehan aboard on D-Day and the corner of the field where it crashed killing all onboard.

STA42286.jpg

STA42374.jpg

The place where Speirs shot the German PoW's... by the way, there were 3 not 20 prisoners

STA42377.jpg

Brecourt - the guns where along the hedge line on the right

STA42370.jpg

Carentan - if you have seen the part where Winters stands in the middle of the road kicking his man up the backside to get them out of the ditch in the middle of MG42 fire then this is the road that they were charging down towards the cafe at the bottoom of the hill...have got better ones to put up yet

STA42356.jpg

A shot up building in Carentan that house a machine gun nest in the arch way

STA42359.jpg

STA42360.jpg

Some of Winters gear at the Deadmans Corner Museum

STA42334.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

St Mere Eglise.

STA42412.jpg

The Signals doing their job then and now

STA42410.jpg

STA42409.jpg

The loos in St Mere Eglise - :shock:

STA42408.jpg

-----------------------------------------

German Cemetery

STA42419.jpg

STA42425.jpg

• 3 months later...

Morning Joris.

Good to see those again!

Yes I do, I have about another 786

Had booked to go again for a week but business has now stuffed up my plans as I have to go away that week :evil:

Going to get back there for a day this month sometime :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Good pix Jack. I've been on a couple of Normandy self-run tours and have taken hundreds of pics. I can recommend the Azeville artillery complex and if you can go to Grainges where some 82AB men relived the Alamo with similar results - God Bless em.

The German cemetery pictured has the grave of Michael Whittmann. If you get down near Mont St Michel (look at it from a distance - don't visit the rock in sumer unless you are hardy/bonkers) you will find the German ossuary at Mont des Huisnes - a stunning structure opened in 1963 bringing in German dead from all around the region and the Channel Isles. Normandy is one of those places where you will always find something new and where the battlefield touring bug will bite you hard (if you have a soul). Even in tiny villages like Les Mesnilbus where there is a P47 Thunderbolt monument with a brilliant story. But there is a lot of stuff to find closer to home. Try and get to Esquelbecq and Le Paradis for 1940 British grit. Then look at WW1 - a million stories waiting to be told.

Absolutely right there Snap.

I am planning a trip to follow my Grandfathers foot steps from Normandy to the Ardennes.

Didn't know about the grave of Michael Whittmann, I will go and see it when we go back, hopefully this month when we intend to do look at our section.

I was very moved with that German cemetery and I do like its message of piece that it promotes, their is something very elegant about it, something profound. Maybe oneday we will allow ourselves to learn from history, but I doubt it.