NSN on a tripod

Lardrover

Evening all

I have several tripods around the place, intended for use on the Pink Panthers. Seeing as it gets displayed and driven in all weathers to shows, the one that currently resides on the nearside wing is looking like it needs a couple of coats of varnish at the very least to keep the wood in good shape. Before I spend time and effort on this, I'm curious about the number cast into the metal head. The metal finish is in that green/grey hammered texture paint, the number is cast in and picked out in red. Number is:

W10/6675-99-200-2948

There is a Crows Foot stamped in underneath the number 99.

I chose this tripod over the others because of the crows foot. Now I'm going to tidy it up a bit, I'm wondering if I can find out if it is contemporary to the era that the vehicle was used. Can anyone decipher the number for me?

Ta very much

W10/6675 relates to Drafting and Surveying so I reckon I'm in the correct area. I'm hoping I can date it and at least determine whether it is contemporary to the Oman campaign. If it is, then it'll get a good bit of attention, if not, I've got some others here that are much tidier and ready to go :)

The crows foot is stamped centrally underneath the number, directly underneath the 99. I didn't know that the 99 in the long number indicated the year.

99 in the NSN is the country code 99=UK

A bit of info on NSN's below

1. What is a NATO Stock Number (NSN) ?When it is established that an Item of Supply is unique, its identity is fixed through the assignment of its own NATO Stock Number (NSN). NSNs are issued by National Codification Bureaus (NCBs).

The NSN is a 13 digit number and is divided into 3 parts:

• The first 4 digits are the NATO Supply Classification Code and relate the item to the group and class of similar items, as the following examples show:

1005=Guns, through 30 mm 2010=Ship and Boat Propulsion Components 3110=Bearings, Antifriction, Unmounted 4010=Chain and Wire Rope 5110=Hand Tools, Edged, Nonpowered 5305=Screws 5310=Nuts and Washers 5905=Resistors 5910=Capacitors 5960=Electron Tubes and Associated Hardware 6010=Fiber Optic Conductors 6140=Batteries, Rechargeable 6240=Electric Lamps 7030=ADP Software 8305=Textile Fabrics 9140=Fuel Oils 9999=Miscellaneous Items etc. etc. etc. etc.

• The next 2 digits indicate the NCB assigning the NSN.

00=United States 01=United States 02-09=United States 12=Germany 13=Belgium 14=France 15=Italy 16=Czech Republic 17=Netherlands 18=South Africa 19=Brazil 20=Canada 21=Canada 22=Denmark 23=Greece 24=Iceland 25=Norway 26=Portugal 27=Turkey 28=Luxembourg 29=Argentina 30=Japan 31=Israel 32=Singapore 33=Spain 34=Malaysia 35=Thailand 36=Egypt 37=Korea, Republic of 38=Estonia 39=Romania 40=Slovakia 41=Austria 42=Slovenia 43=Poland 44=United Nations 45=Indonesia 46=Philippines 47=Lithuania 48=Fiji 49=Tonga 50=Bulgaria 51=Hungary 52=Chile 53=Croatia 54=Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Rep. of 55=Latvia 56=Oman 66=Australia 70=Saudi Arabia 71=United Arab Emirates 98=New Zealand 99=United Kingdom

• The final 7 digits of an NSN do not have inherent significance. However, the number is assigned to one and to only one Item of Supply within the codifying country.

• The NIIN is the invariable part of the NSN, and it remains associated with the item of supply concept throughout its life cycle. However, the NSC may change if there is a change to the classification structure. NSNs are usually assigned to items that are needed on a recurring basis. NSNs are assigned by the country of manufacture, not the country that requires an NSN assignment. That principle helps prevent NSN duplication.

An example of a NSN and related terms is shown below:

nsn.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

Wayne, W10/6675-99-200-2948 comes up as Level Surveying made by British Aerospace as pt no. S331-347.

I have a W10 COSA dated 1993 but it is not listed in that. Well at least you know it is Army given the DMC.

I have a number of defence manufacturers catalogues over the years & will try to see if such a thing is listed from BA & in what year.