"Alvis" question

alsfarms

Were these armored cars built on a commercial chassis or on a modified automobile chassis?  Does anyone have a picture or two to share of the 1937 Alvis Military special?   I have a couple of later Alvis automobiles and understand that WW2 and later Alvis was a big player in the Military equipment arena.

Al

3 hours ago, Newcoregon said:

Hi;  the 70's Fox cvr[w] is supposed to be Alvis built, but oddly there is some controversy about that. I understand that only 296 were built and about 47 got surplussed, some to the States.  More info is always welcome  Newcoregon

The turrets were apparently built by Alvis, but the Fox definitely wasn’t. They were designed by Daimler and the production vehicles were built at the Royal Ordnance Factory Leeds.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Ordnance-Factories-Fox-Combat-Vehicle-R-Data-sheet-Full-colour-New-/312138106698?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I am a Member of the Alvis club, but I find that not much early Alvis military equipment is showcased or discussed.  The Red Triangle is a great source for parts that are simply not available in the "used" market.

Al

I understand that DAIMLER made the Fox prototypes in the hope of getting the production contract which went to ROF Leeds. That finished Daimler as a maker of military vehicles.  I am not aware of any ALVIS components making their way into military vehicles though the Saladin disc brakes are identical to those in the Daimler Armoured Car of WW2.

Not sure I understand the context of the question/relevance to Alvis.  Anyway, home grown WWI subsidy trucks used steel wheels - I'd need to double check if that was actually part of the specification - whereas most imported trucks did not or were inconsistent.

Runflat,  My question was not really related to "Alvis", but occured to me that England may have been a bit more organized with regards to military truck specifications than the US during WW1.  Did the UK have a certain Military Spec. like the US had the "Liberty" truck spec that was built by several builders?

Al

Yes and no.  They were built to certain specs that had been established under the pre-war War Office subsidy scheme (such as controls and wheel sizes) but otherwise could do their own thing (for example some used chain drive, others live axles; they used their own engines or propriety engines; etc.).  They weren't built to a universal design like the Liberty.

So, inorder to name [label]  a CVR[w] Fox , you would list it as a Diamler product on title and goverment licencing papers? ROF Leeds is not a recognized vehicle mfgr Name for title and or insurance- especially in the States.??  Newc

Edited by Newcoregon