1943 WD/RE Flying Flea tank

Red Rimshot

Hello all, 

I hope you're all ok in this difficult time. 

I've dug the Flea from the depths of the garage and it's resto continues. The bike was delivered to WD Cambridge on 1st June 44. I have purchased the senticils for the tank and was going to apply the C number. 

Now, here's the dilemma(s) :                  1. I'm tempted to have it signwritten on as I like that hand painted look rather than stencil.                                  2. I'd also like to apply the division number and the Pegasus insignia to each side of the tank. At 1944 I don't think it would have these, but I like them !

What are people's thoughts about this?

Does anyone have some pictures of original Flea tanks showing these markings. 

Thanks all, Kingsley 

It's been determined that Royal Enfield used transfers and not paint for the census numbers. Same size and font on other models. The correct transfers are not available as we couldn't get them at the right price, but "Axholme Signs" make a right style stencil. 

I don't think I've ever seen original photographic evidence for Pegasus on a Flea tank. Just the AoS marking.  Ron

Fleatank (4).jpg

Flarge_000001.jpg

Hello Ron, thanks for the reply. Is the AoS the 110 on the left side of the tank. It can be seen in the Flea being picked up ?

Someone I knew (passed away now) was in the Oxf and Bucks light Infantry and took part in the glider landings on 6th June, and operation Varsity later in ww2. Considering my flea was delivered to the WD on 1st June I'd like to do it as if it was somehow connected to his unit. What AoS number and colour would have been applied.

Thanks for your help, Kingsley 

The AoS (Arm of Service) 110 was used I think by "South Staffs" or something and seen in a series of pictures during part of "Operation Smash" in Aldershot, which was a training operation just prior to D Day.  I'm not that well versed on WW2 vehicle unit markings, mainly doing the research as each occasion arises. 

During a fit of enthusiasm, I did  put the Pegasus and 110 on my Flea, but subsequently resprayed the tank without them.......As sometimes I think.... "Less is more"  Ron  

Flea_1944_sept_UK_Aldershot.jpg

FDSCF0812.jpg

Hello Ron, 
Thanks for the pics and help. I know what you're saying less is more, but I do like the sort of personalised/individual look. What I'm thinking is a '6' (red square, white 6) on the front left side of the tank. This is as Denis Edwards was with the 6th Airborne Div later in the war. 
what do you think about that ?

Thanks again, Kingsley  

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Denis Edwards was with the Oxf and Bucks light Infantry during the war. He later transfered to the Parachute regiment (his book is The Devil's own luck). I knew the chap as he helped in my Dad's museum.

It'd be nice to do the Flea as if it were with him somehow. 

The whole point about arm of service serials is that they were a form of code for security purposes. The pre-war habit of painting unit titles on vehicles had ceased.

From 1941 onwards, it was ordered by Army Council Instructions that motorcycles should not display Formation Signs. It's therefore not possible to correctly mark a motorcycle in such a way that it can be identified as 'Airborne'.

Of course, someone will be able to find a photograph but it's likely to have been a posed propaganda image taken in the UK.

A divisional HQ would usually show '40' on the 1944 lists.

A serial '6' was used by the BEF, but never on red.

Hello, now I understand, thanks. I saw one somewhere with the red/white and the Pegasus and I thought it looked nice, and thought it was correct. 

Other than the C number do you think there would be any other markings for a vehicle with the Oxf and Bucks, or working alongside them.

Many thanks for the help and advise.