Hamble

Valentine/Covenanter Tag

Hi all,

Picked up this warning tag which appears to be for a Valentine/Covenanter and refers to the turret being locked forward while the compass is in use. Does anyone know anymore about this? Why was it specific to these two tanks and where abouts on the tank it would have been?

Thanks,

Hamble

DSC_0303.thumb.JPG.78489f08c3baab7741ded21504d79be2.JPGDSC_0307.thumb.JPG.575af3f12a5c29eb6874c11d8316fdef.JPG

There is a compass binnacle in front of the driver. I assume the turret moving round with the main gun swinging over the driver compartment would affect the compass magnetic field. 

• Like 1

i'm not sure why the tag wouldn't apply to all tanks but if you want to give it a good home i'd like it for my covenanter

23 hours ago, BC312 said:

There is a compass binnacle in front of the driver. I assume the turret moving round with the main gun swinging over the driver compartment would affect the compass magnetic field. 

Very interesting, I imagine with these tanks being so low profile the gun gets close to the drivers area. I have a feeling the driver may have got annoyed with this tag and threw it out as it was found in a field. 

On 2/14/2020 at 1:30 AM, John Pearson said:

I have always wondered if the Valentine DD model had a similar tag but marked as "turret must be to the rear" so as to allow using the compass afloat?

If the turret was to the front, the gun would foul the floatation screen.

P7090079.JPG