British WW2 8th Army Bowser - Identity Required

LarryH57

I should have said water bowser, as that is what the caption says. Most unusual, especially as I never knew the Morris C9/B/ Bofors gun truck served in the desert. I thought it dated from circa 1943 and Tunisia onwards.

I wonder if the tank is of a trailer or a truck?

It looks to me as though there is a second tank at the front of the one on the rear.  The RAOC base workshops (prior to the formation of REME) gained a reputation for unusual modifications during operations 'up the Blue' with the 8th Army.  The tank that is fully visible would appear at first glance to be a standard 15cwt truck mounted unit mounted here transverse however on closer inspection it seems to not have the fixed brackets where filters and hand pumps would have been located.

Interesting 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Ashby said:

It looks to me as though there is a second tank at the front of the one on the rear.

I also think that there is an identical tank in front of the rear one. As Pete says, I don't think that the tanks are from British 15cwt bowsers as there is no supporting bracked for pumps and filters, also they are too long to be mounted transversely.

The only similar bowser I have seen is this one and I don't know what this is either

bowser1.jpg.10f058870ed51197bb58892a6a6ec828.jpg

Very interesting