At which point does a m51 no longer be a m51 Sherman?

hummermark

Hi was wondering the view of at what point a m51 becomes another model ie if the turret and gun  is changed to a 76mm is it then it should be called a a m4a1 76 hvss? (That's if it was a radial)

can it now be called for simplisty a m4 Sherman which after all it was before Israeli got hold of it and changed it from its war time guise.

i think it is excepted that the engine does not mater as I haven't  heard the m4 Sherman's that are now running the vt8-460 cummins being referred to as a super Sherman!.

i have also heard that a m51 should be restored to a m51 as that is what it is but I point out that is not what it is as it was changed in to that and going alone that line to restore to original should be how it left the production line?

I think that all your points are good and that it is very acceptable to restore any vehicle to as close as possible to how it was at some point in its history. The problem comes when making it into something that it never was, or even more so if making it into something that it could never have been because a key 'improvement' (to use a silly example - air bag suspension) had not been developed then. To restore a Sherman to exactly how it came out of the factory is very difficult now, regardless of your budget, because some parts are simply not available and re-manufacturing them not really practical, so a degree of compromise is almost inevitable. Wherever you draw the line will draw criticism, mostly from people who don't restore things themselves.

David

• 8 months later...