Dodge WC51 frame no/possible year of manufacture

GoranWC51

I am helping a friend out with his Dodge WC51, ex Norway.

The frame number is 81725119, and should be a late model one, i.e. late 1944, or 1945

From the Daimler Benz Waiblingen (Jan 1949)  rebuild tag, the hood number was 2283894

Help with aproximate build date would be helpful.

Thankx

Goran Noren

Trouble with a rebuild is that the frame may bear no resembalance to the bits on it. The vehicles were stripped completly and then put together from what was on the end of the line at the time. So your rebuild date is probably it.

Edited by Tony B

Well my chassis serial is #81722458 and the build date on the build card is Aug 11th 1944. It too was Norwegian, so how much if any other bits were on the production line along with the chassis is unknown.

EDIT - my chassis number and build date don't agree with the pdf production list which guestimates my Dodge built six months after it was.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Norwegian trucks only tend to come in two varieties, those that were completely stripped down for a production line rebuild, and those that were entirely original.  Your friend's truck has been rebuilt at least once, maybe twice, but some of the other Dodges like their Canadian APTs had very few miles on them, right up to disposal, and had just been given normal preventative maintenance.  They were obsoleted first too, being non-standard.

I talked to a couple of Norwegians that were involved in the rebuilding around Bergen, I think in the 1980's

I don't know in detail, but I know a lot of new stuff was procured and fitted.  For example, a quantity of Carryall rear door side latch mechanisms were made new, presumably in Norway.  As I understand it all the axes, mattocks and shovels were discarded and replaced, and no, they weren't wasted, as I have a set at home. 8-)