Dodge WC51

Niceonetidy

Hello Everyone,

I have now purchased a Dodge WC51. I’m due to collect it next weekend. I’m looking for advice for a few things please.

• Is there a way of upgrading the direction indicators, to make them more visible for safety?
  • Does anyone know of a method of using 12 volt items with the 6 volt system?
  • Is here a concealed method of making the vehicle more theft proof?
  • I may replace the canvass sometime in the future, what is the best supplier of these?

What type of clothing did the soldiers wear that drove this type of vehicle?  Anyone got any clothes to sell?

Thank you all,

kind regards

Colin

• Like 1

Congratulations! You obviously have very good taste. From your question I take you have the 6 volt version. My WC54 is 6 volt. One easy way to make the vehicle theft proof is a hidden master switch for the battery. I have added LED strips under the front wings of my WC54, the headlights, being inboard the average person coming the other way dosen't realise Oh SH... it's a hell of a lot wider than I thought!

You can get LED to work in the idicators, though make sure you get a LED flasher unit, only a few quid and far easier than trying to wire in resistors. The LED are quite tolerant of voltage I use 12  volt ones. One other trick , on the roads hang a trailer board on the tailgate. Yes, the triangular reflectors are illegal, but you could see me to stop me and question me.  And din't ram me 'cause you didn't see the brake lights.

Dress standard uniform. Oficers never drove vehicles as a rule.  As I'm getting more mature (The older you get the futher away Old Age is pushed) and look stupid in infantary kit , my preffered dress is lightweights and Wested Leather Indianna Jones Raiders of The Lost Ark Leather jacket. Bloody good jacket for any use. 

A tank suit is very useful, espcially the pockets just above the ankles when driving.

Canavas Allied Canavas.

Note: To avoid the Dodge Dunking, get some light plastic board, I nicked mine from off the adverts used on the   side of buses, and place under canvas over frame.

Edited by Tony B

They were just a cheap row of LED from a now closed car shop. There held under the wings by a couple of cable ties wired to the convoy marker/side lights. They are enough to illuminate the wheel arches in the dark to show how widethe vehicle is.

Brakes are definitley RTFM. Set up by the book they work fine. I got a CD of the manual on line , so print the pages I want and don't care if they get covered in muck. From Military Media Productions

Check out Gordon's site for chassis numbers and dates. You could get a copy of the build card from The Chrysler Musuem, but I don't know if that service is still available.

Edited by Tony B

On 6/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, Tony B said:

Congratulations! You obviously have very good taste. From your question I take you have the 6 volt version. My WC54 is 6 volt. One easy way to make the vehicle theft proof is a hidden master switch for the battery. I have added LED strips under the front wings of my WC54, the headlights, being inboard the average person coming the other way dosen't realise Oh SH... it's a hell of a lot wider than I thought!

You can get LED to work in the idicators, though make sure you get a LED flasher unit, only a few quid and far easier than trying to wire in resistors. The LED are quite tolerant of voltage I use 12  volt ones. One other trick , on the roads hang a trailer board on the tailgate. Yes, the triangular reflectors are illegal, but you could see me to stop me and question me.  And din't ram me 'cause you didn't see the brake lights.

Dress standard uniform. Oficers never drove vehicles as a rule.  As I'm getting more mature (The older you get the futher away Old Age is pushed) and look stupid in infantary kit , my preffered dress is lightweights and Wested Leather Indianna Jones Raiders of The Lost Ark Leather jacket. Bloody good jacket for any use. 

A tank suit is very useful, espcially the pockets just above the ankles when driving.

Canavas Allied Canavas.

Note: To avoid the Dodge Dunking, get some light plastic board, I nicked mine from off the adverts used on the   side of buses, and place under canvas over frame.

Thank you Tony

Excellant advice 

kind regards

colin

Congratz!

Next month is the War & Peace Revival Show (Beltring) at The Hop Farm near Paddock Wood, Kent. It's the biggest MV & Re-enactmentshow in the world and includes a large market where a lot of parts dealers will be present, and a large number of Dodges will attend too. If you can, I suggest you attend or at least come as a visitor. Bring camera and notebook!

Congratz!

Next month is the War & Peace Revival Show (Beltring) at The Hop Farm near Paddock Wood, Kent. It's the biggest MV & Re-enactmentshow in the world and includes a large market where a lot of parts dealers will be present, and a large number of Dodges will attend too. If you can, I suggest you attend or at least come as a visitor. Bring camera and notebook!

Congratz!

5 hours ago, Niceonetidy said:

Where do I buy spares for the Dodge please, I want to get a coil and a few parts for spares?

cheers

colin

Jeeparts or Dallas. , check both for availability andprice.  Simple things like oil filters are Mann P1155, though check, you can get from a local factors for a couple of quid. Engine oil , constant discussion on here, I use Halfords Classic 20/50, never had a problem. Found that it holds pressure better when engine is hot. I also retro fitted mine with Frank Jolley Classic Head ignitions, on both the 12 and 6 volt. I have never had a problem with ignition after now about 19 years with the WC51. Frank also does coils, not cheap but worth it the long run. 10 minutes to fit and nothing shows as it all fits into the distributor base plate.