Land Rover (Military 110 TUM 1989) and Sankey Mk2 use - Mainland Europe

paul connor

Question

Good morning everyone, 

Can anyone shed some light on a few topics - namely the use of my Land Rover 110 (1989) and Sankey MK2 trailer through France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany. 

It is my understanding that to take the 110 to France I need an export licence, as some parts of the vehicle do not have 'EU' friendly components, such as; NATO Hitch, convoy lights, brake-away cable on the trailer and reverse over-ride button.

With the trailer, I guess if I was to get the history card showing the details, clearly display the plates so they match, then add a break-away cable it would be compliant? As I am aware many countries such as Germany require an MOT for trailers, but guess I am bound by UK law on many accounts.

The 110 is also confusing in regard to the Dixon Bate tow hitch. Is this hitch legal to use in these places, as I am guessing most NATO vehicles have them? Although I understand Military have different legal obligations to adhere with and indemnities. Furthermore, is my convoy light switch really such an issue as I am led to believe, and if so do I really require an export licence to pass through these places?

I would like to stay legal, and be prepared, rather than look as if I am flaunting the law with ignorance.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Edited by paul connor

5 answers to this question

AFAIK Paul the only thing you might need is a SPIRE license for the temporary export of ex-Military equipment.
I know of nothing that says Sankeys, NATO hitches etc are any sort of problem in Europe.  Indeed I took my S3 over a year or so ago with NATO hitches front and rear and had no problems.   The general rule is if its OK in the country of origin then, temporarily, its OK in countries you visit.   If you moved out there then the story might be different.
The break away cable is needed - simple, just chain the Sankey to the vehicle.  Or fit an eye bolt in lieu of one of the hitch bolts if the 110 hasn't got a loop on the bottom of the plate and uses a chain on that.  The idea is to stop the  trailer running away if the trailer comes off the hitch - but remember that the NATO hitch has a positive mechanical lock in the form of a pin through the fixed and moving jaws once coupled up, unlike the standard 52mm ball notmally used on civvy vehicles.

Convoy lights are irrelevant because you would never make the mistake of turning the 6-way switch the wrong way, would you??

Thanks for the reply, Neil. I hope all is well by the way, sure we will catch up at WP show for a chat.

Good to get some idea of clarification. I'm not sure where I heard that the 6 way switch was an issue, I think it was in regard to MOT and export licences somewhere in the past, but you know how ridiculous information spreads like wildfire. The end goal will be to register both in Germany, as I intend to move there as soon as I can in the future. I am hoping the Merlin reports for both vehicles will suffice for registering both vehicles, as the trailer will be classed as a vehicle, but that is another day, I guess.

So the idea of the SPIRE licence is to show that the vehicle has been cast and not stolen I guess? Are these free to apply for and just a simple application stating rough dates I shall be travelling and to where?

Thanks

Paul

14 hours ago, paul connor said:

Thanks for the reply, Neil. I hope all is well by the way, sure we will catch up at WP show for a chat.

Good to get some idea of clarification. I'm not sure where I heard that the 6 way switch was an issue, I think it was in regard to MOT and export licences somewhere in the past, but you know how ridiculous information spreads like wildfire. The end goal will be to register both in Germany, as I intend to move there as soon as I can in the future. I am hoping the Merlin reports for both vehicles will suffice for registering both vehicles, as the trailer will be classed as a vehicle, but that is another day, I guess.

So the idea of the SPIRE licence is to show that the vehicle has been cast and not stolen I guess? Are these free to apply for and just a simple application stating rough dates I shall be travelling and to where?

Thanks

Paul

Look for me in the Living History field Paul - will be with the Red Alliance guys (Cold War Soviets) - hopefully with the UAZ down there. 🙂
For permanent relocation to Germany I'd suggest getting hold of either a German member of the forum or contacting the German authorities directly as the rules for residence are, I believe, different to those for visiting vehicles

I have applied for the SPIRE licence. 

This was not easiest of forms to complete, wanting to know where I am heading and also have a reference from the person the other end. This is also the case for the trailer as it is still "Ex Army" kit.

I have not heard back from them as yet, and it has been nearly 2 weeks now.

How do others get on with this, as surely not everyone goes through this process as some may not even know their Defender or similar is Ex Army?

Do I have to go through the same process and waiting time if I was to buy, for example; a WW2 vehicle and trailer it to Germany? Would I have to wait for them to process this licence before I could head through customs?

It all seems a bit crazy. I understand some equipment is indeed sensitive with NBC, ECM and the such. But a Land Rover 110 isn't really of issue, surely? 

Paul