Harrison lathe

Hello, I have an old Harrison lathe most likely from the 1960's.  Decided to give it a clean up and paint and I noticed this mark stamped into the bed, I know the broad arrow indicates MOD, but does anyone know what the letters might signify?  I'm struggling to make out the letter on the left.

Thanks!

lathe.jpg

Unfortunately you don't give a scale rule against the stamp.  If it is approx. 1/2"  across the oval - then it looks a typical  3rd party (probably apointed by the MOD) inspectors pass off stamp .  The broad arrow stamp would b e avoided unless it was on govvy business. The indent brand is poor but the markings would give 'traceability' to the company ,  a unique personal mark for each inspector.  On a quality or toolroom machine tool - you can expect several stamps.  These would be governed by  HOLD points ,  such as a check of the bed casting after machine , any induction hardening of ways - to confirm OK for next stage , this would be scraping (mottling) of bed & tailstock, fitting of headstock then - running of 'reference' cylinders using dti's.  After all fitting work , you could expect finished work inspector / chargehand fitters stamp for functional check of all controls.  I would have expected Harrisons to always employ a outside 3rd party inspection for the final 'pass-off.'   For substantial government contracts - all this is determined at a 'pre-manufacturing meeting'.   They could of course accept a  "Certificate of Conformity"  that more or less just states the goods meets out in house standards and any relevant national standards.   I have even had to recheck hardware and documentation for Russian & East German power presses & found all in order - then rubber stamp + bray my hard stamp with a 2 lb hammer.