Remote brake Servo.

Ian L

I'm thinking of fitting a remote brake servo to my Humber Box Heavy Utility & wondered if anybody has fitted one to any vehicle & which one do they recommend ?

There are lots on ebay like this one at less than £100

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Servo-Small-Ford-Cars-Anglia-Cortina-Capri-etc-FREE-POSTAGE-/391321160322?hash=item5b1c8f0a82:g:ftQAAOSwSdZWcsDc

Thanks in advance.

Ian, it is essential to choose one with sufficient capacity, i.e. it must be able to pump the same volume of fluid that the cylinders require.

To take your example - are the 4 x wheel cylinders on your Humber bigger than those on a Ford Cortina? I would have thought so, in which case that servo will probably not have sufficient capacity to fully actuate the Humber cylinders.

I would imagine something designed for a Land Rover could be a better choice, but you need to check that the diameter / stroke of the cylinders of the vehicle it is designed for are at least the same as the Humber.

Tony

That website linked from the ebay item you showed is quite useful, giving typical cylinder bores - but not stroke.

Even if your Humber cylinders are similar bore, some older vehicles may have longer stroke wheel cylinders, in which case it may not push enough fluid?

Ian, it is essential to choose one with sufficient capacity, i.e. it must be able to pump the same volume of fluid that the cylinders require.

To take your example - are the 4 x wheel cylinders on your Humber bigger than those on a Ford Cortina? I would have thought so, in which case that servo will probably not have sufficient capacity to fully actuate the Humber cylinders.

I would imagine something designed for a Land Rover could be a better choice, but you need to check that the diameter / stroke of the cylinders of the vehicle it is designed for are at least the same as the Humber.

Tony

Hi Tony thanks for your advise, the volume was something I had overlooked as I was only thinking of the physical size & fitting when I asked the question.

Now I need to do the maths unless somebody has fitted a servo onto something old with large volume like a Morris C8 ? for instance.

Regards Ian

Interested too, as was thinking of replacing the autovac unit on my GMC 352 with a modern unit. I have just taken on the vehicle and it has been standing 23 years. I have replaced the whole braking system less the autovac due to cost so a cheaper modern alternative looked tempting. Anyone done the same ?

Interested too, as was thinking of replacing the autovac unit on my GMC 352 with a modern unit.......... Anyone done the same ?

Even worse because there are 6 cylinders to fill which means a hefty unit. Which is how I came to start looking at alternatives to the GMC hydro vac. Any original vacuum hydro vacs, the likes of Clayton Dewandre etc seem totally extinct.

Only suitable alternatives I ever found were new units offered specifically for the GMC by I believe www.vehiclesofvictory.com the Chevrolet and GMC site. Looks like the parts section of the site is no longer operating (there was a rumour the owner wanted to sell, I had some parts last year from him). Try searching on G503 for more information.

In any case getting one shipped over was more costly than getting one overhauled in UK, and also a question over future parts / service availability in UK.

Plenty of air over hydraulic units around, although many of those for 7.5t 4 wheel trucks may not be big enough - but others with suitable capacity are certainly available at a cost. But this means running an engine-driven compressor.

Maybe someone can offer better news?

Edited by N.O.S.

• 2 weeks later...