Land Rover Series 3 Restoration

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Needle?? You have an SU or Stromberg fitted in place of the Zenith???

If not and you have the ZEnith or the Weber conversion - take a look at the idle screw on the carb or the throttle linkage - either could have been "played with" in the past.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Looking at the photo in one of your earlier post (post 2) the hand throttle is in the flat out position.

It is the lever on the bulkhead in front of the gear shifter.

Push forward and move all the way to the left.

Mike

Thanks folk I learn something new here every day! I didn't even realise it had a hand throttle and I was just working on the presumption that the carb would have a needle....I have only ever rebuilt mini's before can you tell:D:D:D. BUT I would just like to point out I am not going to be sacrificing a body part everytime I need inspiration on a problem fix :)

Fuel System Part 2

Main

Posted by min200 Wed, June 18, 2014 11:48:31

After some feedback from readers of my blog I have been informed of a few things and put them into place.

The reason my engine is running its nuts off is this...

004_zpse50cd6a4.jpg

This is a hand throttle and is fitted in FFR Land Rovers and when this is pushed over to the fully on position the engine does indeed gat a bit lively!

So after putting this in the off position the engine started lovely and ticked over nicely. I let it run a while and then once the coolant had warmed up a bit I tried the artic heater and hey presto lots of lovely hot air blowing in from all directions. So this little bit of kit can stay in the rebuild :)

005_zps8e495431.jpg

There isn't a needle in the carb on the landy and this was a presumption on my part after working with classic mini's for years! So with that in mind and the obvious oversight on the hand throttle I have come to the conclusion....

Nick_zpsa662e9cd.jpg

I took off the end dash panel to check the wiper motor over and was greeted with a lovely shower of rust so another part to be replaced has been added to my list.

006_zps152a6694.jpg

But still cant complain as so far I am still on the right side cost wise on this rebuild :)

Spending Money.

Main

Posted by min200 Mon, June 23, 2014 17:27:22

I seem to have had my fair share of luck on ebay in the last week or so. I usually miss out on any real bargains but it seems it must have been my turn lately :)

I have picked up a rear door in excellent condition with lock and key for the princely sum of £21.

033_zps27b91c1a.jpg

When I got there to collect it I was asked if I wanted a drivers side door bottom in nearly new condition with a bit f surface rust on for £20...yes please!

034_zpsa117a023.jpg

Then I had to go out and collect a set of discovery steel wheels I won for £10.20

032_zpsc5307f24.jpg

The tyres on three are shot but one of them is more than good enough for a spare. Upon closer inspection one of the rims has a lot of weights on so I wont bother with that one as I know somewhere I should be able to pick up a couple more wheels later today.

So after unloading the car I set to removing the old back door from the Landy you can easily see why it needs replacing...

035_zps56d28281.jpg

But I had to have the inner door handle off of it to put on the new door. I can report I actually managed to get something right by noticing the door retaining strap before I had taken all of the hinge bolts out and would have to had the door hanging off trying whilst trying to reach the right sized spanners!

037_zps3f54039c.jpg

So I soon had the old rotten door off and gone...

036_zps35584b60.jpg

And the new door was fitted. There was a different retaining arm on this door but seeing as I had so carefully noticed the canvas one I removed the metal one.

038_zps436988c7.jpg

It wasn't as easy as I would have liked I had to bend up the flap at the end of the run and remove the rubber stopper

039_zpsf64c5694.jpg

It soon popped out and I just folded the end flap back down again.

The interior handle was then fitted to the new door

040_zps7025582c.jpg

And ta da I now have a door that locks and closes on the Landy! It's the only door that locks and closes on the Landy but hey its one more than I had this morning!

041_zps4d1b4149.jpg

Im off to haggle on a few bits later so will update in due course...at this rate it will look like a Land Rover again soon!

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

2x Batteries and rear 1/4 light £35

Pair Battery Terminal Clamps £3.99

Floor pan nuts & bolts £6.50

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

Complete set of lights £85

5 Litres Primer £24.99

4 Discovery Wheels £10.20

Rear Door £21.00

Front Door £20.00

Handbrake spring £1.50

TOTAL £647.87

[h=2]Spending more![/h]MainPosted by min200 Mon, June 23, 2014 21:41:41

Just a quick update more to keep tabs on money spent than anything else.

There's a chap called Gary over in Derbyshire that breaks and also rebuilds Landys and seems to have an endless supply of parts! Visiting this bloke can make a serious dent in your wallet!

So this evening I have bought and collected two more Discovery steel wheels, a replacement wing mirror, two headlamp surrounds, two headlamp frames and a pair of discovery seatbelts as the ones in my Landy are beyond repair.

All this for the sum of £60 so I cant complain! Hopefully he will have two new front doors at the weekend as well.

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

5 Litres Primer £24.99

Rear Door £21.00

Front Door £20.00

Handbrake spring £1.50

2 Discovery wheels

Two seatbelts

Wing Mirror

2 Headlight surrounds

2 headlight frames £60

TOTAL £707.87

Coming along nicely.

I gave up counting the costs on mine when it started get silly.

But then adding radios and the numerous tools you seem to need it can get like that.

Mind you thinking about it that is where a load of it has gone.

I just stick all the receipts in a shoe box and might add it all up one day.

I might then add my time and then it would be really scary.

As for blood sacrifices I have made plenty of them.:cool2:

Mike

That wheel with all the balance weights - I have often found that it is just the tyre that is out of balance rather than anything to do with the wheel.

For a wheel i always checked that it wasn't bent as some wheels and tyres come onto the market after the vehicle has been written off in an accident...

trevor

Thanks Trevor that may well be the case but its always good to have a couple of back ups seeing as I want to be doing off roading in the old girl!

Im clumsy at the best of times so breaking bits is a dead cert!

• 2 weeks later...

New Doors!

Main

Posted by min200 Wed, July 02, 2014 13:20:22

The weather has been with me this last few days and I have been geeky excited because I managed to buy a pair of half decent front doors at the weekend so onto the Landy they must go!

016_zps793b7b7e.jpg

I was happy to find that the door hinges and bolts hadn't rusted away into scrap and they came off quite easily!

****At this point I must point out to anyone who hasn't removed doors before like me that it is far easier if you remove the door stay BEFORE removing the hinges. This will save you standing there like a pillock with a rusty door hanging in your hands whilst still attached to the motor wondering what the hell you are going to do now! Personally I stood the door back in its frame and popped a couple of bolts back through the hinges but this was after I stood like a prat with the neighbours and passers by looking at me with looks of barely held in laughter on their faces!***

So before taking the hinges off remove this cover...

010_zpsa10ed776.jpg

and remove the door stay but take the split pin out of here...

009_zpsae58da12.jpg

and remove the bolt. Then the door will come off freely and unhindered saving any red faced embarrassment and looking around to see if anyone is watching you.

I then removed and refitted the door latches to the replacement doors.

011_zps8a092d3e.jpg

So I did this for both doors and fitted the replacement ones. Then I rubbed them back a bit ready for priming and masked up the windows.

017_zps9c404eda.jpg

018_zpsc4f1973a.jpg

Time for another couple of coats of primer and the top coat paint was delivered whilst I was out painting so guess what tomorrows jobs going to be?

019_zps231579d0.jpg

020_zps3d59b1ae.jpg

021_zps31e827bc.jpg

So a mornings work to make it look the same as it did before I started but at least the doors work and are rust free now!

There are some parts on the old doors and the old wing that I have kicking around including the window runners that I will need to put in these replacement doors. So a happy hour stripping bits off of junk to then stick on Ebay to raise some much needed funds for the project.

014_zpsa292c548.jpg

015_zps8d9c83dd.jpg

All in all not a bad days work but I am now happily sitting on the top of the hill and with each new task the Landy will start to look like a motor again from here on in!

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

5 Litres Primer £24.99

Rear Door £21.00

Front Door £20.00

Handbrake spring £1.50

2 Discovery wheels

Two seatbelts

Wing Mirror

2 Headlight surrounds

2 headlight frames £60

2 Front Doors £60

Nato Green Paint £36

TOTAL £803.87

Started Painting

Main

Posted by min200 Thu, July 03, 2014 13:31:22

It's starting to look like a Land Rover again!

I had an early finish at work last night so I got up early to collect some new rollers and git stuck in painting. With the strong breeze and sunshine I managed to get two coats on before wrapping it up for work.

002_zpsc53e2aac.jpg

003_zps22386d86.jpg

004_zpsf650b01d.jpg

006_zps95941f02.jpg

I feel like im getting somewhere now :)

Lighting

Main

Posted by min200 Fri, July 04, 2014 12:36:24

Steady morning just putting the lights back on.

007_zps02f4173f.jpg

006_zpsba56aafd.jpg

And then I painted up the headlight surrounds and air intake vent cover.

008_zpsd74d53dd.jpg

The chores of family life then called upon me to collect the middle daughter from uni and now its time for work so best be back off to the grind I don't want to do eh!