British Army Ammo Box colours

LarryH57

Guys,

I know that people have posted similar requests, with not so helpful replies - but what is the colour code for the brown paint used on British Army Ammo boxes, which in my humble opinion look to be the same colour whether they have bullets or shells in them.

Any suggestions for a paint colour off the shelf if I cannot get the paint made up and mixed?

In my case I want to repaint some boxes for 120 mm shells to match others I have in their original brown colour (as they have been overpainted in grey.

Ammo cases often look to be gloss while others appear as satin but never matt?

Guys, I know that people have posted similar requests, with not so helpful replies - but what is the colour code for the brown paint used on British Army Ammo boxes, which in my humble opinion look to be the same colour whether they have bullets or shells in them. Any suggestions for a paint colour off the shelf if I cannot get the paint made up and mixed? In my case I want to repaint some boxes for 120 mm shells to match others I have in their original brown colour (as they have been overpainted in grey. Ammo cases often look to be gloss while others appear as satin but never matt?

hi Larry,

I am sure the colour is Service Brown BS381c No.499. Go to a paint supplier and ask to look at their colour cards.

014a.jpg

Thanks Richard

Incidentally I wonder why brown is still the colour for ammo boxes and why they aren't painted NATO green like everything else these days?

Incidently I forgot to ask if anyone can suggest a date for these ammo boxes in the photo (1966?). I would imagine they are for a Chieftan 120 mm gun as it says 120TK HESH but are there any other possibilities?

014.jpg

Edited by LarryH57

Thanks Richard

Incidentally I wonder why brown is still the colour for ammo boxes and why they aren't painted NATO green like everything else these days?

Incidently I forgot to ask if anyone can suggest a date for these ammo boxes in the photo (1966?). I would imagine they are for a Chieftan 120 mm gun as it says 120TK HESH but are there any other possibilities?

Larry,

The boxes are sometimes universal in that they can accomodate various types of munitions. They are also re-used, so although the one you show is stencilled 1966, it could be earlier. Dates were often pressed in along with the box designation. Earlier this year I visited a contractor to the Australian Defence Force, who refurbished boxes that were returned empty. They were finished off with the new stencilling for their next consignment.