Army views on civvy Tank owners

mill comms

Question

12 answers to this question

Walter Mitty - pretending to be some thing/one your not.

mostly re-en actors etc.......im ex army and i have no issues with MV owners or re-en actors myself

but do take offence to people dressing up as service personal outside of these events or wearing current medals (VC GC MC etc) to which they are not entitled badges of rank i have problems with

but others will tell you their grips...sit back and wait for the flood :whistle:

Walter Mitty - pretending to be some thing/one your not.

mostly re-en actors etc.......im ex army and i have no issues with MV owners or re-en actors myself

but do take offence to people dressing up as service personal outside of these events or wearing current medals (VC GC MC etc) to which they are not entitled badges of rank i have problems with

but others will tell you their grips...sit back and wait for the flood :whistle:

Yes totally Agree with this, its like someone impersonating a Police officer or a Doctor.

My interest is with the Engineering of equipment and Restoration of vehicles (i did a engineering aprentership with BAe systems)and not impersonation, suppose that makes me Sad byt not a WALT.

Why do Army personnel always refer to Private "civvy"owners of Army vehicles as WALT or WALTS, explain please 8-)

Actually - thinking about it - they probably refer to vehicle owners as "<censored> <censored> idiots", after all - who in their right mind bys and maintains a vehicle not really designed for work without a full base workshop to call on??

"Walts", usually, is a term applied to those who dress in uniform with badges of rank and decorations etc. and pretend to be what they are not...

Actually - thinking about it - they probably refer to vehicle owners as "<censored> <censored> idiots", after all - who in their right mind bys and maintains a vehicle not really designed for work without a full base workshop to call on??

"Walts", usually, is a term applied to those who dress in uniform with badges of rank and decorations etc. and pretend to be what they are not...

width=397 height=500http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/safariswing/awards_2.jpg[/img]

A while back we went with a small re-enactors group to a sportsday at militay barracks in uniform offcourse.

We were allowed to fire a 25 pounder and were driven around in a brencarrier.

Well at one point a platoon of real soldiers came marching so we did the same.

Some of us wore hobnailed boots so it also sounded good, they looked quite surprised at us.....

I shouldn't be too hard on people who like to dress up in Army uniform and wear rank badges to which they are not entitled. As long as they look the part. After all most of us are faking it a little in kitting out our vehicles for MV shows and some of members have never served but I would not stop them from putting on a uniform that goes with the age of their MV.

I've been to some really good WW2 living history events and seen people dressed as British Army Officers, WO's etc who have never served and yet have talked to veterans who love to see them and their vehicles correctly turned out!

As for decorations I suppose its how they are presented. If for example a WW2 re-enactment group portrays a particular unit with Divisional badge, Arm of Service and Trade badges etc is it so bad that a few of the men wear typical ribbons for decorations & campaigns that the real unit may have got?

Obviously some young kid running around with a Generals tunic on, covered in medal ribbons and the medals too, would look stupid, not that I have seen many like it.

There are other things that make me cringe even more but still it's a free country, so go ahead and dress your kids as Hitler Youth, I do not have to look!