Military markings

garry taylor

door.JPG Hi

Can anyone recognize the marking of this Bedford MK, it was released by the MOD in 2001, it looks like it has a tiger claw crossed with a bayonet...maybe it doesent mean anything, but it would be fun to know a little about its history, but i dont have time or energy to go chasing up the military museums,

I belive its in desert paint...but even that im not sure about

door2.jpg

Paint is faded Nato green, markings are as follow's:

Chalk No = Means it's from a unit possibly RAF or airborne chalk number refers to order of march for flight.

FAW = Front Axle Weight

RAW = Rear Axle Weight

AUW = All Up Weight

Sorry can't help with the other marking with the bayonet.

Chalk number does not signify any particular unit or even service. Many units, both Army, RAF and probably Royal Marine, usually those which expected to be transported by air with reasonable frequency, had these markings which were completed in chalk. Chalk number is the military equivalent of a civilian flight number and indicates which aircraft the vehicle is due to fly on.

Can't help with the yellow triangle marking.

Chris

Edited by chrisgrove
errors corrected

Well the yellow triangle is from the campsite we stayed on in Amsterdam, sorry if that was missleading.

It also has 45 stencaled on the top of the mudgaurd, which i belive is the airpresser of the wheels,

there is a small amout of yellow lettering on the front near the passanger part of the window, but too little to make out what it said (but it was 2 lines)

And i belive the black strip (which with a camera flash in the night goes floresent in photos) that goes all the way around the cab is a marker to see how far it will go in water (ive been told the trucks been waterproffed)