landrover 200 tdi verses 2.5 turbo diesel

c101 comando

Question

i thought i would ask here as i know i will get honest opinions

a chap i know is selling a landy 110 12 seater he says its got a 200 engine in it now it on a e plate so should be turbo diesel rather than a later 200 tdi he has only had it a few weeks and its just not comfy enough for him

now then i want to know what sort of mpg would you expect from either version of engine i know the tdi has a much better rep than the other engine

i have yet to see it up close but it sounds solid and reasonable buy as i have kids and junk to move about and my jeep is heavy to run as it has a 4.2 in it

Landys last forever because their owners are always spending money on them... A little like painting the Forth road bridge, by the time the painters get from one end to the other,it is time to start again!!!! I suppose it is a form of bonding,man and machine.... They are endearing though.

200 tdi everyday, believe me!!!

he he the laptop was very fast indeed at stopping i was a bit unhappy to say the least the kids were in hiding for a day or two

my plan is to keep my ear to the ground all the 110 tens i have seen for sale all seem to have loads of invoces saying that they have had major repairs

welding gearboxes and head work so without upseting the loyal landy folks

i am wondering if thats the way to go

my jeep runs a six cylinder 4.2 and does a tad over 16 to the gallon

on a run thats what it did on sunday when i went to bristol to fit a jeep engine

i am open to ideas i may sell the jeep if i can find somthing as tough as the jeep i had thought that it may have been posible to find a ex army 110 but as i say i am a bit concerned about how tough they realy are

[sorry landy fans]

me old jeep is on its second or third time round the clock in good nick and with all its original power train

I've had my Defender since it's release in 1998. I bought it at auction. It's done over 200,000kms. Since I got it I have rebuilt the axles (using genuine parts) and brakes, bought a new fuel tank, tie rod, cambelt, battery, heater matrix and that's about it. The axles I rebuilt because I wanted to do it and I had the money to burn (I'm a fan of preventative maintenance), the fuel tank sprung a leak and so did the heater matrix. Apart from that it's been 100% reliable. The are tough as old boots, but you have to keep on top of the servicing (I do mine every 3,000 miles).