DE-act weapons now we are BRITISH

tankdiver

The Police were at the W&P show looking at some deacs, they never batted an eye lid at the D&B stall so I think they have been briefed to not to get involved until things are clarified. Some dealers even put signs up for the Police to have a play.

i also heard than you will still need an import/export permit to move an EU spec gun through the EU and that if the EU spec changes again, you will need to pay to bring it up to standard or it reverts to the fars we have now of having 'defective deactivated guns' which are illegal to sell.

The London Proof Master attended the show on the Saturday. & as He is a Personal Friend of mine, he naturally came & sat at my location for a chat. He was with the 'gaggle' of Police, Border force Etc People.

He informed me they were all turning a blind eye to the 'New' unfair, unworkable & pointless EU directive on Deacts.

(That is NOT to say, if you do something stupid. & 'Come to Notice' to them. That they will not prosecute!)

It is unnessacry & extra pointless work for them. That will have NO effect on Career Criminal & Terrorists, & they KNOW this!.....

I enquired, that when the Extraction process had been completed. For the UKs withdrawl from the EU. That we would have to start the fight all over again, to repeal these unfair laws relating to Deacts. & get them BACK to what they were prior to the EU 'Directive'. He is most unhappy about the wording of 'Defectively deactivated' if the FORMER Firearm is sold without the new EU Deact Cert. As I said, if it was legally deactivated & Certified prior to having to add. Say a pin in the mag well & a cut in the mag to clear this pin. How come it 'suddenly' became 'Dangerous', & gained a penalty for failing to comply? We both agreed, it needed some rich person to challenge this ruling in court. Because, if it was deactivated to new spec Etc prior to the into of the EU 'Spec'. Under Sec.8 of the firearms act, ir remains totally incaperble of 'Discharging any, shot, bullet or other missile. & to add to ACPOs guidelines. it is ALSO incaperble of being 'readily converted in 30 mins or less. With Normal workshop Hand tools. it would NOT fall in the category of a firearm!

He added, He agreed with collectors & enthusiasts anger & dissatisfaction about the whole 'Mess' this has caused.

Not to mention the pointless extra work for our over burdened police forces!

He mentioned he was going to inject some input to the Home office about all this nonsense. As they do listen to him & act on his sensible guidance. He doubts very much we will succeed in repealing this law. As once in place, it is almost impossible to get rid of. he agrees we must at least TRY, & even MORE of us will NEED to add the 'voice' against this unfair Law on Deacts. He is going to suggest a compromise, that all Deacts PRIOR to the introduction of this EU Directive. REMAIN as they were for us in the UK. To be freely sold, traded. swapped Etc. to UK CITIZENS ONLY. & that if the deact were to be exported. Then it would HAVE to be brought upto EU spec & Re Certed with the 'New' EU deact Cert.

Yes indeed!!! We could live with that one! a SENSIBLE compromise. & sadly would drive up the demand & prices for Pre EU spec deacts. but, if you have a reasonable collection, that is also your pension fund. as a lot of people have. Then this is good news perhaps?

This will NOT affect anything 'fresh/ New' to the Market though. From now on, ALL Deacts MUST be cut to the EU Directive specification. PERIOD!.......

Well it's good to see that common sence is prevailing at the moment and it's a breath of fresh air to be honest. Thanks for the reply Ferretfixer, and please pass on my thanks to the PM at the London PH.

with ref to pension pot. You hit the nail on the head. I have more in my collection than I ever needed with the idea of them increasing in value better than money in the bank. That and my real pension have flat lined now. I have some very rare items that I never want to see chopped up any more.

The problem this year about taking British deactivated weapons to Europe for commemorations.

I want to take my Bren to Arnhem in September, as I have every year, portraying a Bren Gunner. Now been told in layman's terms that I could take it out of UK legally but it will be confiscated by Dutch authorities over there!

This has NEVER been a problem any other year!

I'm sure there should be a clause for a one gun out and same gun back. Easy to check and police.

We have to register our weapons when over there, only take them out on approved occasions etc.

Hoseman,

You need a collector's licence to own a deact semi and full automatic.

The Dutch police will take them and destroy them after a court session.

If you are lucky you end up with a probation sentence and no deacts, worst case it is a heavy fine and jail time.

The problem this year about taking British deactivated weapons to Europe for commemorations.

I want to take my Bren to Arnhem in September, as I have every year, portraying a Bren Gunner. Now been told in layman's terms that I could take it out of UK legally but it will be confiscated by Dutch authorities over there!

This has NEVER been a problem any other year!

I'm sure there should be a clause for a one gun out and same gun back. Easy to check and police.

We have to register our weapons when over there, only take them out on approved occasions etc.

If the organization of the event arranged the carrying permit and your weapon is listed on there you should be fine, as long as you follow the stipulations in the permit. I would check with them, but if things are still unclear by then it will be better to leave it at home. Just make sure everything is arranged and you have all the paperwork by the time you leave home.

Getting it out & in the UK again might be a different matter though.