WW2 German tool box - Royal Navy Dismantling Party

Great War truck

One of the things that caught my attention at Malvern is this tool box. The owner said it came from Ostend and was a WW2 German tool box that had been then used by a Royal Navy bomb disposal team.

IMG_9990_zpsyeefghzt.jpg

IMG_9989_zpsxunprucs.jpg

IMG_9991_zpsbuu1tzrq.jpg

The tools are an odd mix but mostly wood working tools which seem unlikely to be for bomb disposal.

IMG_9995_zpsjkzwiazf.jpg

IMG_9996_zpsozltikoo.jpg

Inside is a Marines name attached to a RN “dismantling Party”. I have not come across that name before but imagined that it was more to do with taking interesting things away for examination whether it was gun parts, torpedoes, radar etc.

He provided copies from a German manual to support his view as to what it was.

IMG_0001_zpspx35ioao.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsknweubqv.jpg

What do you all make of it?

Thanks

Tim

Tim yes the woodworking tools seem curious for EOD use. I can see no tools suggestive of being copper or brass that you might expect to see in an EOD kit.

I wondered if CH/X2874 might be a stores cataloguing reference of some kind. Of all the various & rather extraordinary different systems used by the RN I could find nothing that resembled that. In fact the only stores category I could find prefixed with "C" relates to Polaris & Trident components, I shouldn't think any of those are made of wood. :D

Tim yes the woodworking tools seem curious for EOD use. I can see no tools suggestive of being copper or brass that you might expect to see in an EOD kit.

I wondered if CH/X2874 might be a stores cataloguing reference of some kind. Of all the various & rather extraordinary different systems used by the RN I could find nothing that resembled that. In fact the only stores category I could find prefixed with "C" relates to Polaris & Trident components, I shouldn't think any of those are made of wood. :D

:D You'd be quite wrong there: quite a lot of the Polaris/Chevaline warhead assembly is made of plywood, according to an acquaintance who used to work at the instant sunshine factory. (Since the number of missiles was (and is) quite small, there was no point in tooling up for mass production and plastic mouldings, plus they needed something light and strong: plywood is the obvious choice.)

Apparently there's a warhead at the "secret nuclear bunker" museum (minus its physics package, of course) and you can see the internal construction. (Rummage... Aha!)

http://www.hackgreen.co.uk/Our-Secret-History/Nuclear-Weapons-Display/WeaponIframe/weaponiframe.html

Chris.