Bedford MW side screen bag and windscreen cover

landrover nick

hi i looking for any information on the following bedford mw parts to help with the next stage of my mwr restoration the attached photo is the only photo i have found of the canvas cover for the windscreen i would like to have one made can anybody supply me with any more information about it ,the parts book lists a bag to put the side-screens in when not in use again any information /photos and measurements would be help full

regards nicky

largeBedford-MWD-trucks-and-other-vehicles-of-the-4th-Wilts.jpg

• 4 months later...

hi all i thought it was about time to bring this post up to date ,i have found very little information on the canvas cover for the windscreen in fact the photo above is the only photo of this kind of cover i can find so after a little testing and measuring i have produced this drawing which i think should work when not required the cover can be rolled up and secured with three loose canvas webbing straps img227.jpg

i have had better results with the bag for the side screens though a search in the parts book brought the following two part numbers

7061807 chassis numbers 26308(this probably the first chassis number to have doors fitted )to 38104

7063912 chassis number 38105 on

what the difference between the two bags is remains to be seen the side screens must have been changed but i have no idea why ,thanks to Simon Thomson for supplying the two photos of his side screen bag (his truck is a 1944 MWR ) which will be the second part number the size for the bag is 25" x 22" with a small fold over and press studs to close it in the same stile as an A4 envelope

img226.jpg

drawings for both parts have now been sent to Steve at Cromptons along with the order for the new cab canvas ,door tops and side screens and correct modifications to the MWR rear canvas ,when the are ready in the spring i will up date with the finished items

nicky

img225.jpg

Thats interesting Nicky . The bags are a good idea, you'll have to keep us updated as I might go for some of these myself if you don't mind passing on the supplier details , what's the costings of the items your having made if you don't mind me asking .

Dave

Thats interesting Nicky . The bags are a good idea, you'll have to keep us updated as I might go for some of these myself if you don't mind passing on the supplier details , what's the costings of the items your having made if you don't mind me asking .

Dave

Oh, very nice(!), never see before, thank you for photos and info,

Tom

Hi Dave contact details for canvas supplier are

Undercover Covers

85 Moseley Street

Digbeth

Birmingham

B12 0RT

Email enquiries@comptons2000.co.uk

Contact number 0121 6225562 ask for Steve

DSCF0075.jpg

i had a very hard time to find a supplier that was interested in making a rear hood canvas for the MWR but Steve was more than happy to help ,photo shows the MWR in Normandy last year with the rear canvas they made for it ,sorry i have no costs as yet for the cab canvas or the door tops but last year they charged

MWR rear canvas £600.00

Gear stick gator £ 25.00

Hand brake gator £ 25.00

Front mud flaps per pair £ 30.00

Rear mud flaps per pair £ 30.00

i will post the costs of the other parts when i have them

nicky

i had a very hard time to find a supplier that was interested in making a rear hood canvas for the MWR but Steve was more than happy to help ,photo shows the MWR in Normandy last year with the rear canvas they made for it ,sorry i have no costs as yet for the cab canvas or the door tops but last year they charged

Hi Nick,

I had Steve make me a rear canvas, cab roof and side screens for a MW about 14 years ago. He asked if I wanted Land rover type canvas or the more original flax canvas, this is the material with a roughish texture. I opted for the flax and it looked pukka. Boy, was it heavy too.

This was for a restoration for a customer and we were both very pleased with the canvas work, Steve had a photo of the MW in his advert at the time.

regards, Richard

Hi Dave contact details for canvas supplier are

Undercover Covers

85 Moseley Street

Digbeth

Birmingham

B12 0RT

Email enquiries@comptons2000.co.uk

Contact number 0121 6225562 ask for Steve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99952[/ATTACH]

MWR rear canvas £600.00

Gear stick gator £ 25.00

Hand brake gator £ 25.00

Front mud flaps per pair £ 30.00

Rear mud flaps per pair £ 30.00

i will post the costs of the other parts when i have them

nicky

Thanks Nicky

Dave

Hi Richard the flax canvas sounds interesting i will ask Steve ,have checked on there web site no photos of your truck do you still have any photos of it ,Steve said he had patterns for some of the items i need i wounder if these were for your truck

nicky

Hi Nicky,

It belonged to a customer and it is now in France. I think the photo below was taken about 5 years or so after the canvas was fitted. I fitted brand new Simex Trak Grip tyres to it as you can see. The canvas was excellent. I did not send patterns, but did a detailed drawing of where cleats were, etc and Steve told me it all lined up with measurements of others he had done, so there were no issues fitting it.

regards, Richard

jdk mw.jpg

• 8 months later...

Back to the windscreen cover

when i had the canvas work done in the spring i had Steve at Cromptons make up a windscreen cover as per the drawing earlier in this post , i had attempted to fit the cover several times with no success and had put the job on the back burner until i received the following e-mail from Simon Thomson a mine of information on all things MWR.

Forgot to tell u . met an old boy who drove an MWR in ww2 . he said the the front glass canvas is rolled up as in photos , although it has the buckle and strap to roll it up there the canvas continues backwards from the strap/buckle by about two feet .this goes under the front bit by the wipers and tucks under the main canvas which holds it. However he said they never drove with it on . Just put it on when parked up and then removed. He said they were a pain and not used much .

After reading the email and some lateral thinking i have now managed to fit the windscreen cover

Bedford-WM-43rdDivision.jpg

A slightly better print of the original photo which shows four straps to roll up the cover not three i originally thought

DSCF0570.jpg

The windscreen cover fitted to my truck

DSCF0571.jpg

Using some old webbing straps i have extended the straps to go around the rear cab hood stick

DSCF0574.jpg

The windscreen cover rolled up

DSCF0573.jpg

To fit correctly the straps to rear cab hood stick would need to say five foot long with a buckle at the back end

i think the email also answers the question of why photos of the windscreen covers are so rare (being a pain to fit and only used when parked up).

DSCF0572.jpg

• 2 weeks later...