Ferret Outer tracta joint housing and hub

Ken Wales

Question

Trying t make it easier for myself I was considering topping oil up in hubs by using Hub level plug but after several readings of the user handbook realise that you should top up from the filler plug until it flows from the outer plug. Then keep topping up until oil flows from inner plug.

How much additional oil would that take rather than just using outer plugs?

Is there any problem in only using outer plug and just giving a bit extra.

Many thanks in anticipation.

1 answer to this question

Trying t make it easier for myself I was considering topping oil up in hubs by using Hub level plug but after several readings of the user handbook realise that you should top up from the filler plug until it flows from the outer plug. Then keep topping up until oil flows from inner plug.

How much additional oil would that take rather than just using outer plugs?

Is there any problem in only using outer plug and just giving a bit extra.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi Ken,

Treat the outer tracta and the epicylic hub as two different levels, although they can flow through. Fill outer tracta until it comes out of level plug half way up. For the hub, have the filler plug either 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock and fill to level of hole. You do not want to over fill either one because it will leave no room for expansion and hub seal may leak.

regards, Richard