OIL for power steering

We think we have identified the pump as the problem with our Foden LMLC.

However in the books we have I cannot find the correct grade of oil we will require when we reassemble it. I belive some vehicle use ATF, some use a power steering oil and some use a 30 grade. Does anyone know what we should use?

We think we have identified the pump as the problem with our Foden LMLC.

However in the books we have I cannot find the correct grade of oil we will require when we reassemble it. I belive some vehicle use ATF, some use a power steering oil and some use a 30 grade. Does anyone know what we should use?

Almost all modern vehicles use ATF oil for steering systems , easy to recognize by the colour , red , so if there's any oil left , have a drain and compare

I am not 100% sure on the correct oil for your Foden, but can say that the Army had a passion for keeping the amount of oil types used, to the minimum and power steering systems were often specified as using engine oil. I remember this on AEC lorries and Fox armoured car in particular.

The Mod called for OMD80 for the steering on all the current Unipower BR90's. as Richard said

they like to keep to a minimum amount of oils used on a vehicle.

But sorry can't help on the Foden oil for the steering.

Clive

protruckservices.com

The correct oil for the power steering is OM33, I use normal ISO 32 hydraulic oil in mine.

I have most of the manuals for this vehicle so let me know if you need any more info.

Attached is a copy of the pump details. maybe the pressure relief or flow control spool valve is stuck in the pump.

foden pump.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info Bran.

We rebuilt the pump and put it on yesterday afternoon. We used the 32 grade oil. It ran up nicely. The old oil looked dirty so we flushed it thorough.

The steering is fine now.

thats good news, hope it goes well.