Jeep old and New, plus some other photos.

simonm

I've just been going through some old photos and came across this one. Apologies in advance if some of the photos are not particularly Military Vehicle(ish)

P1030854.JPG

It is not staged and was taken in Pakistan in about 1995.

The story behind it is a 4x4 hash (A hash is where you have a hare and hounds paper trail running race which ends up with a BBQ and lots of beer, originated in Malay and found within most expat communities) Where there is a lot of space, you can do it in 4x4s and its a lot more fun!

In this case, the towing vehicle is - I think - owned by an Aussie from the Oz Embassy (CD22), the newer red jeep would be a local. Clearly the fording of the river proved too much for the new one, we followed on in an old 1978 Chevy Blazer.

Also, a couple of 20th Anniversary pictures, I was in Berlin the week after the wall fell. Having spent a great deal of time previously getting an official pass for me and the wife to go into East Berlin, we didn't show it once, just walked through the hole in the wall!

The checkpoint is of course "Checkpoint Charlie", the one at the bottom is the main checkpoint, deserted following the preferred access through the hole in the wall!

Not exactly about military vehicles.

image9.jpg

image0.jpg

image8.jpg

image7.jpg

And last but not least, while in Pakistan we went to the Khyber Pass, on the way through the pass you can see the memorials to the many British Regiments that served in this area. When we went through, even then (1995) we were warned by our guide to not be seen taking photos. Our guide also told us that in some of the compounds, the locals not only had large collections of Kalashnikovs, (which we saw everywhere) but also went so far as to have anti aircraft guns etc.. They valued their independence!

P1030850.JPG

P1030851.JPG

P1030853.JPG

Edited by simonm