Leyland Daf 4x4

chevpol

Hi all,

just a quick one, am I right in thinking that I need a HGV for the above truck? If so, can it be downrated to 7.5 tonnes at all?

Mark :cool:

Yes it's over 7.5 tonnes gross weight so needs a HGV class C.

Not sure about down rating the Leyland Daf. I believe the minimum payload after downrating now has to be 2 tonnes. I think the Leyland Daf may be a bit too heavy, just over 5.5 tonnes in 4x4 form, to allow this.

Just checked here:-

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,26,/19107/Leyland.htm

and they're listed at 6.5 tonnes empty. :shocked:

I new they were heavier than the old MJ/MK but didn't realise how much. Nearly a tonne more, although I believe payload is higher too.

Bad news is that means you won't be able to downrate to 7.5 tonnes for non HGV use. Better to get the licence upgrade anyway then you can drive almost anything and even put it to commercial use.

Just checked here:-

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,26,/19107/Leyland.htm

and they're listed at 6.5 tonnes empty. :shocked:

I new they were heavier than the old MJ/MK but didn't realise how much. Nearly a tonne more, although I believe payload is higher too.

Bad news is that means you won't be able to downrate to 7.5 tonnes for non HGV use. Better to get the licence upgrade anyway then you can drive almost anything and even put it to commercial use.

thats what I thought, cheers!!!

PS, does anybody know of any British Miltary Truck thats under 7.5 tonnes, can carry a comms pod, tow my series 3 ffr and can seat 3 in the cab? (Tall order!!!)

thats what I thought, cheers!!!

PS, does anybody know of any British Miltary Truck thats under 7.5 tonnes, can carry a comms pod, tow my series 3 ffr and can seat 3 in the cab? (Tall order!!!)

The old MJ almost fits the bill once down-rated, it'll take a coms pod. Later versions with the refurb have a small centre seat (and I mean small).

Problem comes when towing your other motor. Anything over 750kg unbraked trailer and you're into HGV territory, it's effectively and articulated vehicle so Class C+E required.

The reason I got rid of my MJ was even with third seat fitted it just wasn't practicle for three people in the cab. They're a very narrow cab with wide wheel arches.

What about the Reynolds Boughton RB44, they have a three seater cab. I've seen ones with a small radio or command body on the rear and they should tow a Land Rover no problem. Not well regarded whilst in service however.

I think it was down to reliability mostly. Maybe the high centre of gravity and narrow track as well, led to a few roll overs I believe.

Sure someone else will know more if you post a question specific to RB44s.

I think it was down to reliability mostly. Maybe the high centre of gravity and narrow track as well, led to a few roll overs I believe.

Sure someone else will know more if you post a question specific to RB44s.

I belive the main problem was brakes. They would not pull up in a straight line when braking hard. There was a mod, but the problem persisted. Design fault at manufacture.They were cast from Service. Nice looking vehicle, but I would consider the safety angle.

Mike (Ferretfixer)

I belive the main problem was brakes. They would not pull up in a straight line when braking hard. There was a mod, but the problem persisted. Design fault at manufacture.They were cast from Service. Nice looking vehicle, but I would consider the safety angle.

Mike (Ferretfixer)

Not unlike the Land Rovers that went before them then, once any particular drum has got wet!

Not unlike the Land Rovers that went before them then, once any particular drum has got wet!

Yes there is that point to it. BUT, the RB44 is a lot heavier, & going at speed & having to pull up quick nearly caused quite a few accidents im told! If they are a heavier & higher, well you can see the potential outcome im sure. As I say, a great shame, they are a nice looking vehicle.

I cant state for sure, but didnt the GPO use a variant of these?

If that is the case, perhaps looking into thier brake setup/ axle layout MAY be worth checking?