wide track sankey

i was wondering i need to replace my sankey trailer as i foolishly sold it i would like to replace it with the later disc braked wide trac version where

and how much should i expect to pay there is one not far from me the chap is asking £350 it would come with a landy canvas and hoops looks in good nick and not muchly used all advise very welcome

• 2 weeks later...

The FV2381 Mk 3 used with Wolf wasn't actually made by Sankey, but by Reynolds Boughton, Viking Trailers & Universal Engineering.

£350 is the upper limit I think. Only consider it if the tyres were very good and there is no rust in the seams of the wheel arches. These are notoriously rust prone areas, the Army treatment for such damage was to squirt in silicone sealant & cover it up with paint! That bodge is actually General Instruction No.1 in AESP 2330-C-500-821

The other thing you must check is that the brake master cylinder has not seized or rust up. To replace this would cost you more than half the cost of the trailer.

The other thing to check that the orange cover plastic lid on the junction box has not cracked & allowed mud, rust, bogies & wildlife in.

If you have a Viking trailer you will be ok. But the other two makes use a flimsy box made by Ruberlite I think. The 4 lid retaining screws turn through 90 degrees. But when it is all screwed down they are not in line, so it is very difficult to remove the lid without breaking the screws or the lid thinking you are releasing the screw when it may already by loosened. You can see how it all works when you have got it off & probably broken it. Consequently these lids offer little protection for the connections. It is pretty daft design of box for normal usage & its incorporation into a position that is difficult to see & difficult to reach in a piece of military equipment I find rather extraordinary.

I managed to pick up a disc braked one for less than a hundered quid at Whitham's auction. You've just got to go and have a look what's what amongst all the others. Some are trash some are fine.

Not sure about the legality of hydraulic overun brakes. Thought I saw in a post somewhere else on here that said they weren't approved for road use. Would'nt have worried the military of course but may be an issue for second users.

I managed to pick up a disc braked one for less than a hundered quid at Whitham's auction. You've just got to go and have a look what's what amongst all the others. Some are trash some are fine.

Not sure about the legality of hydraulic overun brakes. Thought I saw in a post somewhere else on here that said they weren't approved for road use. Would'nt have worried the military of course but may be an issue for second users.

Yes, I bought mine direct from Withams. You need to go & look yourself. You just would not belive how many they have! AS far as you can see into the distance, left & right. 3/4 Ton trailers with rear load doors! AVOID the Hydraulic ones if you can. The mechancical op version is simpiler & easy to maintain. In conversation with fellow SNCO R.E.M.E Mecahnics, they say there is NO difference in towing performance! The mechanical brakers are more reliable = less to go wrong!

I have found the build quality of the widetracks absolute crap compared to the earlier narrowtrack variants.

BUT, If you do one up & keep it maintained paintwise, they are a very usefull & most useable tool! The rear tailgate makes loading heavy akward loads a LOT easier! :-D shame the narrow tracks never had this feature. They were done like that to be amphibious. Though in practice, I never saw a trailer being 'sailed' accross any Rivers, ESPECIALY the fast flowing Rhine!!:shake:

• 1 month later...

thanks for the input folks so you are sure the non disc brake version is the best

i sorta thought discs was better but i can go with the easy to maintain concept

jt leavesly seem to be selling them on eblag for £250 but it now and they are only twenty miles from my place

so i am thinkin thats the way to go:yay: