Colour changes in service

Jimh

Just out of interest what sort of work goes into changing the colour of an MV in service? When someone decides to send a green Pioneer somewhere sandy what efforts are made to remove the green> Are they just blown over with the new colour or are they blasted/stripped first?

I only ask because I'm puzzled how some bits of our Pioneer have clearly been in desert colours at some point in it's past yet other bits have clearly never been anything other than green. I can understand how this could happen with things like radiators and rear axles but I don't understand how it can happen with bits of the chassis.

hello jimh,

My understanding of it is, they were a standard green colour when they left the factory, and others colours were added as needed. With my mw i find the factory green everywhere and sand in places mainly the easy places to get to, so even thoe its been painted sand it wasn't all over, and i get the impression with the build up of it in places it was slopped on with a brush.

During the 1939-45 desert war the germans sent most of thier vehicles in the continental grey (also a lot of their troop wore uniform items of the same colour). When permissable vehicles were resprayed but many just accumulated dust and sand for the camo effect.

This was also true for captured vehicles.

Ashley

could it be that it have been rebuild, with parts form a once sand coloured pioneer.:confused:

I have also found sand colour on a few parts of my pioneer, and I know that my was rebuild in 45 when it arrived in denmark.

CIMG2306.jpg

I thought that. Most of the sand coloured bits were bits which could have come from somewhere else. The rear bogie and the radiator for example. However, I've been finding more and more traces on the chassis around spring mounts and the like.

None of this matters because it's still not getting painted in sand for some reason. I always think they look more friendly in sand but that's been vetoed.

Thanks for the picture of the door locks BTW. I've been wondering what they were meant to look like. Ours arrived with two very fetching Yale locks holding the doors closed. Very classy.