6 volt starting problems

dog107

when i first got my gpw on the road i went through all the usual suspects and generally i have no starting problems. about three weeks ago i went to get the jeep and it was turning over very slowly and took ages to fire. when it did the starter button stuck. i managed to unstick the very hot button which just fell apart. I needed a quick fix as i was of to a show the next day and i fitted a landrover start button. not only did the ford start it was turning over much faster. leaving me to belive that there had been quite a bit of resistance in the jeep start button. the button was one of the repro ones. i am now convinced that the repro buttons are not up to the job. has anyone got any thoughts on this and where can i get a decent ( preferably nos) starter button?

Hi Dog107,

with only 6 volts to play with if the battry is not running to full strength problems will soon occour, with my ford jeep i had to by a small charger/ discharger unit (from lidl approx £3:00 0and plugged it in for two months continuose (sp) and hve been O.K since

Ashley

Starter button should be rated for the correct load, 6 volt will pull approximately twice the load of 12 volt for an equivelant loading.

Rating may be either in amps or watts.

To convert wattage to current(amps) divide it by the rated voltage and answer will be in amps.

OK , sorry ,far too high brow for this time of night.

Tim(1)

I use TS Autos on 01474 703131 for parts . He is really helpfull. He even talked me out of changing mine from 6 to 12 volt.

Hi thanks for the help guys. particularly like the vera is randy thing. As far as i can gather a six volt starter will pull about 250 amp with an initial peak of 300-350. Is it any wonder that the switches get hot. As far as I can gather none of the repro switches will do the job for long, either poor quality contacts or weak body. Dallas auto parts sell new old stock autolite switches. Recieved mine this morning, this looks like it is up to the job. if it aint you'll here about it here.

thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Embsay, jeep wasn't though, had to rely on the good old VW van.

I couldn't remember mentioning repairs to anyone ,but there again I have been bitching on about it so much I probably do it without knowing it :lol:

Tim(1)