Present and Former RAF Bases

• 1 year later...

Nice site...BUT...my boyfriend (who was in the RAF) says the info on there is pants! Its worng and outdated and RRH Benbecula is actually on North Uist - and he should know becasue he worked there for 3 years!

Oh well..

Nice site...BUT...my boyfriend (who was in the RAF) says the info on there is pants! Its worng and outdated and RRH Benbecula is actually on North Uist - and he should know becasue he worked there for 3 years!

Oh well..

Maybe he should email the site owners then so they can update their information.:-D

Oh well..

Maybe he should email the site owners then so they can update their information.:-D

http://www.economicexpert.com/a/RRH:Benbecula.html

Others think RRH Benbecula is on the Island of Benbecula, see link above, (they also think it is unmanned so I can't really see how someone could be stationed there for three years, unless it was some years ago now), I have never been there nor have I any no plans to do so, but I am sure we will get the full story in due course....

attempting_to_give_a_damn.gif

Edited by antarmike

• 2 weeks later...

Puff has passed me her computer and I will tell you all about the RAF in Benbecula & the Uists. I was based at the Remote Radar Head, RRH Benbecula from Feb 2001 to Feb 04. The Radar head is on the top of a 436 ft hill called South Cletraval on North Uist. It is a site shared with Qinetiq. We were living in the Qinetiq/ old Royal Artillery camp at Balivanich on the Isle of Benbecula. The old RAF Benbecula Reporting Centre was along from the airport, the big concrete block house, this was sold off shortly after I left the Hebrides. The airport is the original WWII RAF Benbecula. As far as I know the RRH is still there and hasn't been contractorised as of yet. We did work there from 8-5 Monday to Friday or I was wasting my time for 3 years

Edited by Puff

Puff has passed me her computer and I will tell you all about the RAF in Benbecula & the Uists. I was based at the Remote Radar Head, RRH Benbecula from Feb 2001 to Feb 04. The Radar head is on the top of a 436 ft hill called South Cletraval on North Uist. It is a site shared with Qinetiq. We were living in the Qinetiq/ old Royal Artillery camp at Balivanich on the Isle of Benbecula. The old RAF Benbecula Reporting Centre was along from the airport, the big concrete block house, this was sold off shortly after I left the Hebrides. The airport is the original WWII RAF Benbecula. As far as I know the RRH is still there and hasn't been contractorised as of yet. We did work there from 8-5 Monday to Friday or I was wasting my time for 3 years

My best friend from pre-army days saw how I enjoyed the RAC and promptly joined the R Signals. He spent a long time with 3 Armd Div Signals and HQ Regt (IIRC) in Soest.

At the end of his tour they asked him where he'd like to go. " UK posting please." They sent him to Benbecula. He wasn't amused eben if, technically, Benbecula was a UK posting (as indeed was Op Banner), finished his 9 nine years' commitment and went to work on the oil rigs.

Soest/mohnesee is one part of the world i must revisit one day beautifull part of Germany.

Ashley

I wonder with the drawdown of troops in BAOR how many times a day these days a squaddy runs across the dam, arms outstretched roaring the Dambusters theme.